• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Evaluated vs Hourly Pay for RCA

w2e2w2e

Hello,

At my office we have a carrier that has been gone for about a week on leave.

She has a horrendously hard route that she makes look simple, her sub (who is also fast) takes about 10 hours a day on her 9 hour a day route (45K).

My question is since this RCA is past the 5 Pay period straight pay (she is about 18 months in as an RCA) and she obviously has run this route multiple times, how does she get paid? Evaluated or Hourly.

If she works 10 hours a day for five days will she get paid 50 hours or only the evaluated time of 45 hours?

A 2nd scenario is if they have her run her route for 4 days and she gets 41 hours in (and the evaluated time was 36 hours for 4 days) and say 3 hours green card time, what does she get paid?  41 + 3 =44 hours or will she only get evaluated and get paid 36 + 3 =39 Hours?

any clarification would be helpful as I think she may be getting the lower of the two and want to help her out.

I say this because if she is getting the lower of the two times and they only had her work 4 days on her Primary route, then she needs to file a Grievance since she only got to work 4 days on her route not 5 as she was entitled to.

HOpe this is clear enough, but ready to answer any questions that you smarter people have.

Please read this thread in the Leave Replacements forum: http://www.ruralmailtalk.ruralinfo.net/forum/leave-replacements/rcas-think-you-were-paid-incorrectly-confused-about-the-pay-system-read-this-first/

thanks Oi veh, still not used to the new system.

But, all of Kelps' scenarios never covered this one where you are both over evaluated time and over 40 hours:

Let’s say you work 4 days in a week, each day the evaluation is 8.2 hours, for a total of 32.8 hours evaluated (8.2 * 4). However, each of the 4 days you completed the route in 9 hours flat; you went over evaluation every day. And each day you assisted other people on green card for 1.5 hours each day so 1.5 * 4 = 6 hours. So your total actual hours for the week would be 36 hours on your route plus 6 hours on green card totalling 42 hours of actual work.
My question is: Do you only get evaluated time on your main route which would be 32.8 hours plus the 6 hours of green card to ONLY get paid for 38.8 hours, or do you get paid for 42 hours of actual work since you are over 40 hours?

Same idea but add 1.5 more hours into green card so that you have 43.5 actual hours worked or 40.3 in evaluated system. Both over 40, which do you get paid?

I have the bad feeling that you get the evaluated time plus your green card, not actual pay.

Thanks all

No matter the scenario, if an RCA actually works 40 hrs or more, they are paid hourly (straight time to 40 & OT after 40). If an RCA can do ALL work under 40, then evaluated hours on the timesheet (4240) + the greencard hours. 

thanks Gotstamps!

Thanks Kelp, 

I had just thought I had read somewhere that when we are getting evaluated time we kinda get hosed, but here is an excerpt from the F-21 manual confirming what you said.

And thanks for putting up with all my questions, it is much appreciated!!

<span style="font-style: italic">566.53 Overtime</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">When a rural carrier relief or rural carrier associate exceeds 40 actual</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">workhours in the week from all certificates combined, compensation for the</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">first 40 hours is at the straight time rate as explained above. For all hours in</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">excess of 40, the overtime rate will apply.</span>

40+ actual hours a week = straight hourly with anything over the 40 being overtime

Green card assistance time is straight hourly. First time running a route you get paid straight hourly assuming its more than the evaluation.

If you work 4 days on a 8 hour route but takes you 9.5 hours a day it would be 32 eval hours of pay vs the 38 hours you actually worked. The worst case scenario is you work 6 days and are under 40 hours but had  50+ hours of eval pay and they send you back out on day 6 to push you over 40. I remember it was fun to lose 10~ hours of pay every week.

Back