• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Hiring retention

Haygrrl

Reading the latest article from Maston in our monthly rag pub
Smgdh...NO..the answer is NOT more $$$$...the reason no one is staying is bc the po has inclusively put morons in charge...I see it every day...no one is going to work for an organization that continues to make your daily life miserable through deliberate incompetence decision MAKING...MASTON..the union..knows this..through our Dr,Adrs...reps...through the skyrocketing amount of grievances..
Not to mention the flawed rrecs system that these new hires look at and sayyy...no...f ing wayyyy
Exit...new hire
Sorry for the rant,sorry if I'm wrong..jmho

I think money is a big factor. A lot of people will put up with morons in charge and they'll deal with being miserable if they're making a living wage. The first office I got hired in had the worst management I've ever experienced. I witnessed harassment, discrimination, favoritism, abuse of power, potential fraud. If I was getting the same wage as a burger flipper back then I would have quit within a month. But since I was making enough to support myself without a 2nd job I dealt with all that b.s. and kept pushing forward.

Smgdh...NO..the answer is NOT more $$$$...the reason no one is staying is bc the po has inclusively put morons in charge...I see it every day...no one is going to work for an organization that continues to make your daily life miserable through deliberate incompetence decision MAKING...MASTON..the union..knows this..through our Dr,Adrs...reps...through the skyrocketing amount of grievances..
Not to mention the flawed rrecs system that these new hires look at and sayyy...no...f ing wayyyy
Exit...new hire
Don’t forget inconsistency in scheduling. To think the RCA position started as a 1-2 day truly part time position is insane when you think of how demanding the job has been allowed to become, for 0 benefits. I could list out the countless flaws with this, but let’s face it, we already know them and we know they aren’t going to bother fixing them.

I think money is a big factor. A lot of people will put up with morons in charge and they'll deal with being miserable if they're making a living wage. The first office I got hired in had the worst management I've ever experienced. I witnessed harassment, discrimination, favoritism, abuse of power, potential fraud. If I was getting the same wage as a burger flipper back then I would have quit within a month. But since I was making enough to support myself without a 2nd job I dealt with all that b.s. and kept pushing forward.
I think the money is a big problem with the initial hiring. For rurals WAY more than anyone else.

You want a job? Be prepared to provide and car, modify it, insure it, maintain it on your time and hope you can keep it afloat for $20/hr and 90 cents a mile.

What career minded young person will even take a whiff of that? Yet, there's no real way around it unless you want to be LLV hopping everyday in big towns.

Don’t forget inconsistency in scheduling. To think the RCA position started as a 1-2 day truly part time position is insane when you think of how demanding the job has been allowed to become, for 0 benefits. I could list out the countless flaws with this, but let’s face it, we already know them and we know they aren’t going to bother fixing them.
New contract needs some sort of 2080/2240 protection for RCAs. Maybe not protection, but retroactive benefits paid after meeting full time thresholds.

If you are working full time. You are not part time and should be considered as such.

Money doesn’t hurt bottom line. Some areas it’s a good wage others not even remotely close.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If it wasn’t for me loving the job I would have walked years ago. The rampant favoritism, abuse by management, no real benefits, being on call but not on call, lack of any sort of scheduling, list goes on and on. Yes offices exist where a sub onky works one day a week or when reg on vacation. Yes, some management are actually decent I know shocking. That’s not the norm in my experience. Over the last 6 years it has gotten even worse in above and more areas.

I know many disagree, but a set time table for PTF could help retain subs. PTF position would need to be changed to 1 route in contract imo. No set classification or days a week worked.

Exit...new hire

I agree with everything you said except for the pay issue. New hire hourly pay is too low. I made about as much as new hire now, when I was a sub 18 years ago. Everything else, Totally agree.

It's proven -- taken from my time as hiring authority in private sector...money is about fourth on the list of things important to new employees, For us, the category of "job satisfaction" is likely first.

This would mean capable competent management to start. But even where this is true locally, from District to National, the same destructive mentality is pervasive. Our union is typically aligned with them, unfortunately.

How about our union actually asking what's important to us? And not some dream world scenario, but practically what matters. We know it's a physical, dirty and tough job, with some days long hours and some not so long. We must accept that. Our benefits in general are reasonable for what we do, with the exception of our pension, which is FAR below standard for comparison to private sector today (the changes made post 1988 swung the pendulum too far the other way, from overcompensated to under compensated)

So it comes down to working conditions. But to even address that, we have to look at the systems that are in place that are the impacting drivers of what we are dealt. RRECS is a nightmare, primarily because there's zero transparency AND it's so complex nobody can get an accurate solid answer. And then there's the absolute unfairness, the standards set by engineers that weren't audited or corrected. Tied to RRECS are the USPS systems, where there are so many databases, none with common information and data, that don't talk to each other. Nobody really knows how much of what, when, where of anything for the most part. Without employees feeling they're being treated fairly and having transparency they really don't feel great about their job on a daily basis.

Money doesn’t hurt bottom line. Some areas it’s a good wage others not even remotely close.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If it wasn’t for me loving the job I would have walked years ago. The rampant favoritism, abuse by management, no real benefits, being on call but not on call, lack of any sort of scheduling, list goes on and on. Yes offices exist where a sub onky works one day a week or when reg on vacation. Yes, some management are actually decent I know shocking. That’s not the norm in my experience. Over the last 6 years it has gotten even worse in above and more areas.

I know many disagree, but a set time table for PTF could help retain subs. PTF position would need to be changed to 1 route in contract imo. No set classification or days a week worked.
City has "unassigned regular" positions that could equate to the PTF you suggest

RCA hire entry level compensation is an issue in most areas. There are some lower cost places that it's a decent wage, relative to living standards. In high cost areas, it's not viable. For those working in our offices, it's tough to find a home to buy for under $1 million within a 45 minute drive to work. With gas over $6 it makes it marginally worth it to come in and work 6 hours. McD starts at mandatory state wages of $20/hr now, and most fast food pay $23 to start for anyone with decent learning ability.

There is no real solution as we won't EVER do anything that costs the PO more money.

Private sector employers have found that creating a better work environment will attract and maintain employees for less money. Since the post office is INCAPABLE of providing such environment, their only chance is to pay more for employees to tolerate the misery.

I’m Reading the latest article from Maston in our monthly rag pub
Exit...new hire
I just got done reading the same article. Never mentioned you have to work sat and sun every week. For straight time
Exit...new hire

I just got done reading the same article. Never mentioned you have to work sat and sun every week. For straight time
Good pick up Ben!

There are many jobs that require weekend work. Most of them fall into several buckets -- they're very part time, and they're primarily weekend, mostly retail, they're regularly scheduled for weekends but have scheduled days off during the week, often back to back, or they're paid overtime or some type of premium pay for weekend work.

The post office does none of the above.

And we wonder why they all QUIT.....

If you can't even get them to apply it's simple it's the money they don't even know about all the other negative parts of the job.We sometimes give out the postal hiring cards city and rural so about 15,000 we get 5 people to show up to the job fair haven't had a new hire stay in over a year.

NO...maybe for a year or two..but not 30..
Jmho

Exit...new hire
As regulars we are now 40% under paid why should they stay or even apply when that is what they have to look forward to being over worked and under paid. No future in the USPS anymore. I would never tell some one to come work here if I were not so close to retiring I would be gone already and am still looking for a better job for my last two years one I like comes around I will quit with a call in notice.

Exit...new hire
I'm gone, but you're not wrong. saw it before I left

Private sector employers have found that creating a better work environment will attract and maintain employees for less money. Since the post office is INCAPABLE of providing such environment, their only chance is to pay more for employees to tolerate the misery.
We have a lot of RCAs bail to other crafts in USPS and we're an all gov vehicle office, so having to supply a POV isn't a factor. Why do they leave? It's kind of circular and it involves the union and USPS equally. They see how USPS abuses carriers, specifically overburdened 48s, and they note how the NRLCA does nothing to fight it. They see NRLCA as a weak excuse when it comes to not protecting the ordinary carrier doing their job many now working for free, while working overtime to keep gutter trash employed.

Back