• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

How many Saturdays and Mondays does a formula office get

Djetta

Our postmaster is telling us that she is going to try to get our office to be a formula office due to not being able to hire enough subs. We are a 12 route 1 aux office with 6 available subs. Just wondering the formula for and how many available saturday/monday routes.

You don't want a formula office if you can help it. Try and see if you and other regulars in the office will accept other relief days until new Rca's can be hired.
The maximum amount of regulars to have any relief day is 5 in your case. 13 routes covered - 6 Rca's=7 regulars working which would leave 5 regulars able to be off on that day.

It is my understanding the PO does not have to assign any Monday relief days until all other slots are filled. Also the PO does not have assign all RCAs to a Saturday - just that no other day can have more assigned days than Saturday.

Just a suggestion - consider the Friday/Saturday option for 8 routes and Mondays for the 4 remaining routes. This gives everyone a weekend at least every other week. Keeps formula out of the office and retains one RCA to cover for AL/SL for Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays. The aux carrier could also be available to cover if two regulars were off if the PM will split a route.

You don't want a formula office if you can help it. Try and see if you and other regulars in the office will accept other relief days until new Rca's can be hired.
The maximum amount of regulars to have any relief day is 5 in your case. 13 routes covered - 6 Rca's=7 regulars working which would leave 5 regulars able to be off on that day.
i didn't run through the formula numbers in this case, but the number of aux routes, is subtracted from the number of rca's, then another .1 is subtracted. generally you end up with one less regular being able to be off, then number of available rca's. i'm guessing when they said available rca's, they hadn't subtracted one, for the aux route.

It is my understanding the PO does not have to assign any Monday relief days until all other slots are filled. Also the PO does not have assign all RCAs to a Saturday - just that no other day can have more assigned days than Saturday.

Just a suggestion - consider the Friday/Saturday option for 8 routes and Mondays for the 4 remaining routes. This gives everyone a weekend at least every other week. Keeps formula out of the office and retains one RCA to cover for AL/SL for Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays. The aux carrier could also be available to cover if two regulars were off if the PM will split a route.

In a Formula office, mgmt determines the non-Saturday Relief Days to offer. The only rules are that no one non-Saturday can have more Relief Days than Saturday AND if mgmt offers Friday as a choice, they must allow the Friday/Saturday option if the Carrier wants. The Friday/Saturday option is for Formula offices so not sure that that would be allowed in a non-Formula since mgmt doesn’t like the option to begin with.

Our postmaster is telling us that she is going to try to get our office to be a formula office due to not being able to hire enough subs. We are a 12 route 1 aux office with 6 available subs. Just wondering the formula for and how many available saturday/monday routes.

If mgmt does implement the Formula, file a Grievance right away so the Union can investigate whether mgmt followed protocol prior to implementation.

In a Formula office, mgmt determines the non-Saturday Relief Days to offer. The only rules are that no one non-Saturday can have more Relief Days than Saturday AND if mgmt offers Friday as a choice, they must allow the Friday/Saturday option if the Carrier wants. The Friday/Saturday option is for Formula offices so not sure that that would be allowed in a non-Formula since mgmt doesn’t like the option to begin with.

My PM approached us about the Friday/Saturday option to avoid implementing the formula. She told us to consider it. Our office is only 2 K, no aux, no RMPO (we are a stand alone office). But only 1 RCA. Want to avoid DACA 3/5 OT pay. I am senior and see no reason to agree to it - if it is even an option.

I asked would she make the RCA a PTF and she wouldn't commit to it. If the sub could get benefits I would consider it - if it is even possible. But it sounds like maybe it is a "no" all the way around.

My PM approached us about the Friday/Saturday option to avoid implementing the formula. She told us to consider it. Our office is only 2 K, no aux, no RMPO (we are a stand alone office). But only 1 RCA. Want to avoid DACA 3/5 OT pay. I am senior and see no reason to agree to it - if it is even an option.

I asked would she make the RCA a PTF and she wouldn't commit to it. If the sub could get benefits I would consider it - if it is even possible. But it sounds like maybe it is a "no" all the way around.

For a PTF position, both K routes would have to be on different K-days. Then District must approve the position & it goes to bid on Liteblue. Your RCA would bid online as long as they are past their probationary period of 90worked or 1 year.

Please clarify. Your office is a 2 route office, both being K routes? If so, the only reason management is giving for going formula is to avoid paying DACA3-5 OT pay. Since you are senior I would guess that you would take every Saturday. Atmosphere in office could get frosty if formula is implemented.

For a PTF position, both K routes would have to be on different K-days. Then District must approve the position & it goes to bid on Liteblue. Your RCA would bid online as long as they are past their probationary period of 90worked or 1 year.
When we went formula, it was done in office other than the postmaster contacting his boss and union rep. They then sprang it on us. We wanted to fight it but our union rep basically told us it probably would not work. They told us there would be no Friday’s off and no Friday- Saturday combo. They went around and had us pick our day off by seniority. He used the formula to decide how many Saturdays, Monday’s and offered Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday by seniority. When he finished that he let the RCAs picked their PTF routes by seniority. There was no bidding on lite blue. I don’t know if it has changed since then.

Please clarify. Your office is a 2 route office, both being K routes? If so, the only reason management is giving for going formula is to avoid paying DACA3-5 OT pay. Since you are senior I would guess that you would take every Saturday. Atmosphere in office could get frosty if formula is implemented.

Yes, a 2 route office, both K routes. PM wants to avoid DACA OT pay. I woud probably choose Monday off if offered - easily the worst day of the week with the extra flats and double Amazon run (no Sunday delivery in our zip, so we have Sunday and Monday to deliver.)

It is already frosty. Would try to help the RCA out though - he's been in the office for close to 10 years. Treated poorly by the PM.

Things have deteriorated to the point that I will probably walk in the office some day and hand in my badge and keys. No notice. No party. No looking back. We (the regs) already do not talk to one another. Only minimal talk to the clerks or PM. Favoritism, failure to abide by the contracts and poor management are not condusive to a good office atmosphere.

When we went formula, it was done in office other than the postmaster contacting his boss and union rep. They then sprang it on us. We wanted to fight it but our union rep basically told us it probably would not work. They told us there would be no Friday’s off and no Friday- Saturday combo. They went around and had us pick our day off by seniority. He used the formula to decide how many Saturdays, Monday’s and offered Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday by seniority. When he finished that he let the RCAs picked their PTF routes by seniority. There was no bidding on lite blue. I don’t know if it has changed since then.
Don’t know how long ago that was but Online-bidding the PTF position has been going on for many years. The Formula determines how many non-Saturdays are allowed. Anything over that # is a Saturday K-Day. So sorry nobody grieved it. Mgmt has been known to lie about their “efforts” to hire. District bosses like The Formula so it was the Union Rep that was likely snowed over. Either that or they just didn’t want to put in the work to investigate.

Went through this fri/sat relief option a couple years ago.. I was one of two senior regulars that agreed to this, to help two junior carriers avoid weekday relief days..it was a mistake, as two other junior carriers could have agreed to make it work.., but then became entitled, as they got to keep Saturday relief days, and would never allow anyone to use a Saturday. This was done to avoid formula, which in the end, happened anyway. Then overturned by grievance, this will end up,just screwing one of the junior carriers, as one of the routes that would get a saturday, will be going up for bid soon, and someone could bid into the saturday.
Formula will now, not be implemented, until immediately after bidding.

Went through this fri/sat relief option a couple years ago.. I was one of two senior regulars that agreed to this, to help two junior carriers avoid weekday relief days..it was a mistake, as two other junior carriers could have agreed to make it work.., but then became entitled, as they got to keep Saturday relief days, and would never allow anyone to use a Saturday. This was done to avoid formula, which in the end, happened anyway. Then overturned by grievance, this will end up,just screwing one of the junior carriers, as one of the routes that would get a saturday, will be going up for bid soon, and someone could bid into the saturday.
Formula will now, not be implemented, until immediately after bidding.
You cannot bid into a Saturday route in formula office. Even though the announcement says Sat it is still subject to seniority getting first pick of relief days. If you can get Sat because of seniority on the new route than you can on your current one as well.

Does not the relief day stay as posted until recalculation of the formula due to change in rca numbers?
It will be roughly 30 days from the time the bid closes until the carrier starts the new route. I believe they'll have time to re-poll regs & recompute before then.

You cannot bid into a Saturday route in formula office. Even though the announcement says Sat it is still subject to seniority getting first pick of relief days. If you can get Sat because of seniority on the new route than you can on your current one as well.

That is incorrect. The Relief Day stays with the route unless a PTF/RCA is the winning bid. Mgmt can then recalculate the Formula if they so choose but there is nothing that mandates it unless a gain of Saturday Relief Days would be warranted. If you already have a Saturday Relief Day & bid to a non-Saturday Route, you likely won’t be able to get a Saturday again until an increase of subs forces a Formula recalculation. The newbie doesn’t count until they complete route training & then mgmt has 30 days to effect the Formula change. Nothing forces mgmt to recalculate on a loss of subs.

The relief day stays with the non Saturday route. You will not get Saturday relief if your the new regular. The other regulars will not sit still for it.

Back