• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Leaving office in drivers seat

I have never been disciplined for anything that I know of. Just threats. And I totally agree DBcooper we shouldn't have to decipher the rules as If they were hieroglyphics
My kick against this policy is mostly that it seems like harassment, and really doesn't add to safety....

Getting situated in the middle and mirrors adjusted in the parking lot is safer than sitting out in the highway at the first and last box...

Seatbelts in the center doesn't matter either.... it's just another harassment measure.... about like sitting still and backing nonsense.... ?

The 603 is not clear. It does not clearly state where your route begins or ends.

When operating a privately owned left-hand drive (LHD) vehicle, seat belts must be worn and the carrier must be positioned directly behind the steering wheel when traveling to and from the route, between Postal Service units, and during any deviations from the established line of travel beyond one-half mile for delivery, including travel between routes when service is provided on more than one route (171.51.b.(2)).

The wording to and from the route needs to be addressed. They are paying you EMA from the office and back.... so would not be the start point and end point of a POV route?

The 603 is not clear. It does not clearly state where your route begins or ends.

When operating a privately owned left-hand drive (LHD) vehicle, seat belts must be worn and the carrier must be positioned directly behind the steering wheel when traveling to and from the route, between Postal Service units, and during any deviations from the established line of travel beyond one-half mile for delivery, including travel between routes when service is provided on more than one route (171.51.b.(2)).

The wording to and from the route needs to be addressed. They are paying you EMA from the office and back.... so would not be the start point and end point of a POV route?
As posted earlier,

Route Travel
311 Established Line of Travel

Serve your route in accordance with the authorized line of travel. (See Exhibit 132.2 , PS Form 4003, Official Rural Route Description.) The official starting and ending point of rural routes is the designated loading and unloading area.

How could 603 be any clearer?

The official starting and ending point of rural routes is the designated loading and unloading area.

Straight out of the PO 603..... seems pretty clear to me.... to and from route, is to and from home.... USPS has twisted and bastardized the meaning to enable carrier harassment.... NRLCA should stand against this, but they don't.... ?

I did it to get count credit. Especially now, since there isn't available room to adjust mail.

And at the end is a good time to separate throwback/3m mail, organize parcel markers/straps. Get your tubs in order. Snd then you're prepped to be in and out of the office before someone makes you carry part of a route or run packages.
Ok how do I get my time credit for this? How will this work with RRECS

Return to delivery unit scan when you pull in.

Seems the union didn't allow pov allowances in the new study. Probably during the mini count, you can fight for variances.
Is it too late to file a grievance to be made whole?

What happens with the extra start load and end load scans I have been entering then? Am I just wasting more of my time now. How much time credit did you end up getting?

I'm not understanding this at all. Union has told me RRECS is gonna deal with this missing time credit. I get asked why I'm not making evaluation, but yet I'm doing extra work thats not being taken into my evaluation. I guess to get my credit of 0 I don't do what they ask of me. Instead I load my vehicle and leave and return in delivery position. At least then I will get extra load and end of day time.

Its not like I'm trying to just get extra time. We were asked to submit some route changes in writing and I suggested giving me just one box closer to the Post Office so I could leave like all the other carriers and have my vehicle loaded that way. It would eliminate the wasted time of doing this at first stop 2 miles away. Nothing ever was even discussed about my suggestion

My interpretation of that meant, driving to and from the PO, and that makes perfect sense.... of course you should wear the seatbelt while commuting to and from home...

But, when I got hit with the ridiculous 1st box last box deal.... I called the ADR, and they backed this nonsense.... good ole worthless NRLCA.... ?
You are to be under wheel and buckled up if route conditions (deadheading several miles for example) dictate.

I’ve always understood that we were to be buckled to and from first and last box in all povs , but after looking at all of the above discussion, that is NOT what the manuals say.
Here’s my remedy for all those that want to be in center position as they leave loading dock or return. Since your manager says your route ends at your last box and starts at your first box, therefore you should end your loading time when you arrive at your first box (giving you many more minutes of paid loading time). You should scan RETURN2DU at your last box (giving you many more minutes of PM office work). These 10-20 minutes extra every day added onto your pay should make it worth the extra effort of being belted to and from your first and last box.
See y’all, Rrecs can be really enjoyable.

As posted earlier,

Route Travel
311 Established Line of Travel

Serve your route in accordance with the authorized line of travel. (See Exhibit 132.2 , PS Form 4003, Official Rural Route Description.) The official starting and ending point of rural routes is the designated loading and unloading area.

How could 603 be any clearer?
This should be clear, but the USPS has twisted this, and NRLCA is just along for the ride.... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ 🧐

I was questioned about why I am entering multiple startload endloads. I explained because I have to leave and return to post office buckled in and behind the steering wheel. When I get to first and last stop I need to rearrange my vehicle and that takes time. I was informed that the time for this is built into the route. How is it built in when the time to do this task varies with the volume of mail daily. More lies I think.

Here's a good question for people especially in my scenario.

Regular has RHD. I have LHD.

Our last mailbox is on country road that is on the left side of the road. So regular has to pull in driveway and turn around to get it. Now what about LHD? According to USPS at my last box, I should switch over to driver side. So does that mean for me I pull up to box without pulling in driveway switch over, put mail in, and continue on back to office?

Again RRECS doesn't factor anything in at all.

There’s no reason why any manager or regular should allow that customer to have his box on that side of the street, unless it is for hardship. It does work out for you, however, I would switch to the left side at the second to last box.

I’ve always understood that we were to be buckled to and from first and last box in all povs , but after looking at all of the above discussion, that is NOT what the manuals say.
Here’s my remedy for all those that want to be in center position as they leave loading dock or return. Since your manager says your route ends at your last box and starts at your first box, therefore you should end your loading time when you arrive at your first box (giving you many more minutes of paid loading time). You should scan RETURN2DU at your last box (giving you many more minutes of PM office work). These 10-20 minutes extra every day added onto your pay should make it worth the extra effort of being belted to and from your first and last box.
See y’all, Rrecs can be really enjoyable.
That MAY work a short while-BUT NOT long-no way they will allow this....

Back