• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

New Handicap Delivery

RaggedyAmy

What needs to be done before a new handicap delivery is approved? Added driving distance measured, change in 4003, turn around spot approved, etc? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Medical documentation supplied from customers doctor with application. And proof that the individual lives ALONE. I had a whiner get one approved by LYING years before I took route. Husband always in driveway tinkering on junk and such. I never had a spot to turn around. It was a shit show. Two yapper dogs trying to grab my ankles at the door. I finally told new super she has a fully sbled husband with her that can cross the road to get the mail, hardship dismount cancelled, box back out to the curb. Tough beans lady, you can have the hubby fetch your mail. Totally ridiculous.

when my mother was still alive, at 90 years of age, living alone, legally to blind to drive, with a dr's note stating as such, she was denied by my prick of a pm, hardship delivery. driving distance, change in 4003, etc., are all things that wait until after delivery is approved.

It sure is strange that we are being ask about how many hardships we serve on our routes now. It was ok when we paid for it but now that the new system is being activated they want to cut the mileage! :censored:

RaggedyAmy -- "What needs to be done before a new handicap delivery is approved? "

-- May involve moving the mail box from the line of travel - say from along a road way to attaching the mail box to the home - or close to it.

-- Customer will have to complete Form 4027 ( Petition For Change In Rural Delivery ). The customer or representative should be able to get the form if they come to the post office or you can get one for them. If manglement says they don't have the form - file a grievance, citing Section 142.3 of the PO-603, which says the USPS supplies all forms.

-- Domestic Mail Manual, Section 508.2.2.2 --- Accommodating Customer Hardship -- On the customer's written request, the postmaster may approve an exception to the currently authorized method of delivery, it the type of rural delivery authorized imposes an extreme physical hardship.

-- POM 9, Section 631.42 - Hardship Cases

a. Changes in the mode of delivery authorized for a delivery point are considered where service by existing methods would impose an extreme physical hardship on an individual customer. Any request for a change in delivery mode must be submitted in writing.
b. Approval of these requests should be based on humanitarian and not economic; however, rural delivery customers requesting a hardship extension must also meet criteria for extension of rural delivery service ( see 653 - Extensions ). Each request for a change in delivery service should be evaluated based on the customer's needs; a request should not be denied solely because of increased operational costs or because a family member or other party may be available to receive mail for the customer.
c. If the local postmaster denies a request, the request must be sent to the district for review. The final decision is made by the district manager.
d. If a customer no longer requires a variation in the type of delivery service, mail service must be restored to the mode of delivery in effect in the area.

-- Chapter 4 of the M-38 ( Management of Rural Delivery Services ) deals with Extensions of Rural Routes. ( Hopefully the family has a good road leading to the home )

-- Step 4 ( H-11 ) in part: when a hardship delivery is approved on a rural route, local management MUST determine if additional vehicle mileage is required. It may also be necessary to assign a safe, convenient park location, authorize a dismount and measure any required walking distance. This information is used to determine a BASE HOUR CHANGE and is recorded in the appropriate block of PS Form 4003. Base hour change is effective on the first day of the next pay period.

-- Check the PO-603's Section 313.1 -- Authorized Dismount Delivery.

-- You may need to do or redo PS Forms 1564-A and 1564-B.

Most of the bases covered here except... If approved, make sure footage from dismount point to service point is also credited. If there is a mailbox by the door, any item you scan and place in box should be scanned as "front door". Also check your 4003s upper right hand corner. There is a space that mentions dismounts there. If you do not have any dismounts now it should read 6. If you have dismounts already make sure this total is up by 6 because you still must go to that box if they have no incoming for the day to check for outgoing.

When this hardship delivery ends after 90 days you must submit book with a new 4003 and deduct the 6 dismounts from your total on it. Also notify your PM or book keeper that they need to do their part also in removing the footage factor.

I have a few of these and it's a shame hardship dismounts are not listed on 4003 for new to route random coverage. I keep a delivery order list for these under the plexi of main sort table with HARDSHIPS highlighted. I also have the abbreviated last name of these customers with DMNT printed on my labels in an effort to alert random coverage while they case any mail.

One Hardship I have who dwells in an APT complex with curbside delivery. I moved in my book so my labels read to the last location of these boxes served for ease of pull down and an effort to further alert random coverage. IE... customer lives in apt 3 of a 6 curbside delivery points. Labels go 1,2,4,5,6, 3.

Medical documentation supplied from customers doctor with application. And proof that the individual lives ALONE. I had a whiner get one approved by LYING years before I took route. Husband always in driveway tinkering on junk and such. I never had a spot to turn around. It was a shit show. Two yapper dogs trying to grab my ankles at the door. I finally told new super she has a fully sbled husband with her that can cross the road to get the mail, hardship dismount cancelled, box back out to the curb. Tough beans lady, you can have the hubby fetch your mail. Totally ridiculous.
Nope.

b. Approval of these requests should be based on humanitarian and not economic; however, rural delivery customers requesting a hardship extension must also meet criteria for extension of rural delivery service ( see 653 - Extensions ). Each request for a change in delivery service should be evaluated based on the customer's needs; a request should not be denied solely because of increased operational costs or because a family member or other party may be available to receive mail for the customer.

To reiterate-
a request should not be denied solely because of increased operational costs or because a family member or other party may be available to receive mail for the customer.

Back