• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

no vacation for foreseeable future

In my case, using sick time, it was a matter of life happens. I got covid same time as my father, he died 2 weeks later, and I was off for that for a month and a half. It hit me so hard, my doctor set me up for the anti-bodies shot and I was sent all kinds of medical monitoring supplies that was given to me by the state. I was in the first 200 people in the country to get them so I was monitored daily. Burned all my sick days then.
Now my hip went bad over 3 years of getting worse and I could not work with it anymore. I had to work long enough to earn enough time, SL and AL, to use for it.
I've got 7 weeks saved and doctors said 4-6 week healing period. I specifically wanted the machine that does the surgery and not the doctor because they said you will heal faster and so far, it is working out that way.
They always say save it until you need it, well I needed it then and I'm guessing I will need it again sometime. I've also got 30 years in with about 10 more to go, maybe.
 
I'm just curious, why are you trying to burn up sick leave if you don't have too? That will get applied to your retirement down the road, if you get there.

In my case, I'll probably get sicker the closer I get to retirement so it's also good to keep a bunch of time in the bank for those days, in case I can't keep them for my pension.
Don’t save any SL, it doesn’t amount to an extra tank of gas a month in your pension. You don’t want to get close to the end and realize that.
 
Myea... SL is best used, from a monetary standpoint.

Say you're pulling a rough average of 80 grand a year. Your year of SL is worth, well... 80k. Added on your pension, even at 15+ years is what, right around 880 a year in FERS benefits?

Good luck clawing back the 91 years of retirement pay equivalency, all whilst sacrificing your QOL and avoiding using your earned benefits.
 
Dumbest comment of the night award.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 Do not do this. rt2....you should know better than to say something STUPID like this....😡😡😡
I've stood in front of a group of managers and refused to follow a direct order from my manager's POOM. I said you're not my manager and there is NOTHING contractual showing I owe ANY obedience to you.
If you want me to do ANYTHING you had better direct MY manager to give me that order.
A nurse is way down the pecking order from any manager and there is NOTHING contractual stating ANY carrier must obey ANY nurse. If I have FMLA and my manager asks any question about it I would file a grievance on that violation. Everything they need should have been spelled out in the filing of the FMLA case. If it wasn't that is the accepting officer's fault.
If you can find anything written in a USPS manual/document or our contract, please present it. If not, then I, at the worst, have only made the 2nd dumbest comment of the night.
Congratulations on your award.
 
Myea... SL is best used, from a monetary standpoint.

Say you're pulling a rough average of 80 grand a year. Your year of SL is worth, well... 80k. Added on your pension, even at 15+ years is what, right around 880 a year in FERS benefits?

Good luck clawing back the 91 years of retirement pay equivalency, all whilst sacrificing your QOL and avoiding using your earned benefits.
No, no, no! It's worth zero in your scenario as far as money earned. If you work you still make the money!!!

Think about it. If you worked those same days for the year you'd still make 80k (assuming your route never goes up or down). If 80K is your high 3 average and you use it during a lower year you actually make less money and nothing extra in retirement.

The only way your scenario works is if you're talking about physical hours worked paid versus paid and not worked, but logically your scenario doesn't make you 80K especially if you're living of it like a normal salary and not banking it. The only time sick leave pays is if you couldn't physically work those days and wouldn't have earned the money otherwise. Arguing quality of life is a completely different argument that has nothing to do with the mathematical benefit scenario. It's better to save it if you can. Even if on paper it seems like less money. It's NOT!!!

Also if you're one of these people who keep it near zero and the end up in the hospital for a year that isn't work related, how much do you lose? Is it worth the risk? That's a huge gamble.
 
Only using sick leave because I can't get vacation. I need rest. Every time I do what's good for ME, I have someone try to do what's good for THEM.
See that’s the other issue with them denying everyone’s leave is that when you finally get fed up and call in they’re going to use your SL instead of using AL like you normally would do if you were allowed to turn in a leave slip under normal circumstances. Also, the last time I tried to put in a leave slip for a full week(a month ahead of time mind you) the station manager was like, "I’ve been told not to give any Saturdays or Thursdays" so I explained to him about that rule where we get a free day if we put in for a full week and he didn’t care. So they’re screwing us that way also. Now they’re just denying every leave slip…it’s insane.
 
asked pm if there would be any vacation to be had in the next two months. Response:"hiring portal opens next friday, tell everyone you know"

i have 88 sick days racked up. How many can i take, and how often before any kind of discipline kicks in?
Is your PM aware they can ask other offices within a 50 mile radius if one of their subs are available on the days you are requesting off?

Have they sent out an email asking other offices to send relief carrier assistance to your office?

Annual leave shouldnt be denied until they at least try to get a sub in from somewhere else.
 
Is your PM aware they can ask other offices within a 50 mile radius if one of their subs are available on the days you are requesting off?

Have they sent out an email asking other offices to send relief carrier assistance to your office?

Annual leave shouldnt be denied until they at least try to get a sub in from somewhere else
ive called one of the local offices myself. got no response.
 
Back
Top