• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

no vacation for foreseeable future

This is a concept I wonder that has ever been brought up before. All these areas that are in need of subs, why not approach the state unemployment office and make it a requirement that those receiving benefits apply to the good ole USPS and those with a pulse get a job thereby solving 2 labor issues with 1 keystroke.
 
Work requirements are great.

But if we're completely honest with ourselves... We see the totality of the public. Most folks of working age on government aid have neither the work ethic, nor the moral fortitude to function at expected levels.

Presuming their pre-employment drug screening doesn't just self ignite at the absurd cocktail of illicit substances in their systems.
 
Yeah the SL earned early on is worth more as you progress in steps and years normally. I banked it as short time disability insurance but when you reach MRA you’ll start looking at it a lot differently. Don’t be like me and have over a year’s worth and then it’s a pickle to get past manglement’s line of defense to use it.
My point is simply that you do NOT make more using it while you're working versus saving it for added retirement calculation time. That is completely false and mathematically wrong. So my opinion won't change on that part.

When I left the military I had 45 days of annual leave saved up. I had the option to use that 45 days for my last 45 days before I officially left and not come back to work (other than to sign my final release paperwork on my official last day).

The other option was to work until my last official day and cash out that time. I worked until my last day and was paid normally for that, and then I received am additional check for 45 days.

In the sick leave scenario, if you work until your last day (assuming you can) that time isn't cashed out in one lump sum, but your retirement is now higher each month, respectively. Option two is to use it while your working, get paid the same amount you would have made any way that week had you worked and get ZERO extra when you're out. Yes, closer to MRA it will be tempting to get paid and not work BUT it simply won't make me any more money at all and actually lose me possible extra pay.
 
My point is simply that you do NOT make more using it while you're working versus saving it for added retirement calculation time. That is completely false and mathematically wrong. So my opinion won't change on that part.

When I left the military I had 45 days of annual leave saved up. I had the option to use that 45 days for my last 45 days before I officially left and not come back to work (other than to sign my final release paperwork on my official last day).

The other option was to work until my last official day and cash out that time. I worked until my last day and was paid normally for that, and then I received am additional check for 45 days.

In the sick leave scenario, if you work until your last day (assuming you can) that time isn't cashed out in one lump sum, but your retirement is now higher each month, respectively. Option two is to use it while your working, get paid the same amount you would have made any way that week had you worked and get ZERO extra when you're out. Yes, closer to MRA it will be tempting to get paid and not work BUT it simply won't make me any more money at all and actually lose me possible extra pay.
short answer:

annual pays actual money in your pocket if you chose to cash out at retirement.

sick pays out a pittance compared to using while still an active carrier.

i plan on using all of mine. never ever leave money on the table.
 
short answer:

annual pays actual money in your pocket if you chose to cash out at retirement.

sick pays out a pittance compared to using while still an active carrier.

i plan on using all of mine. never ever leave money on the table.
Explain how you are leaving any money on the table, please.

If I give you $100 to not work tomorrow or you can work tomorrow and still earn $100, but if you do work tomorrow I will then change my offer and give you $1 a month indefinitely. Which is the better offer? You get $100 either way work or not or $100 plus $1 dollar a month?

You're leaving money on the table using all your time. Not the other way around. Do the math or explain how I'm wrong! (BTW, I'm not).
 
Explain how you are leaving any money on the table, please.

If I give you $100 to not work tomorrow or you can work tomorrow and still earn $100, but if you do work tomorrow I will then change my offer and give you $1 a month indefinitely. Which is the better offer? You get $100 either way work or not or $100 plus $1 dollar a month?

You're leaving money on the table using all your time. Not the other way around. Do the math or explain how I'm wrong! (BTW, I'm not).
it's worth far more to me to get my top dollar (read my high evaluation dollars - 46K step 12 approx $358.00 a day) while still an active carrier as opposed to a piddly 152 a year.

let's say i have 2 months worth. that equals $14,000 approx. while an active carrier as opposed to approx $13.00 a month as a retiree. let's also say i live another 25 years after retirement. i get an additional $3900 total for those 25 years. big whoopie ding dong. the math speaks for itself.

i suppose if you have worked for 30 or 40 years for the PO (egads) and have never taken sick leave it could work out for you. but if you have worked 20, taken your leave for dr/dental visits and maybe have had an accident and/or an operation over those 20, then it isn't that hard of a choice.

but you do you.
 
it's worth far more to me to get my top dollar (read my high evaluation dollars - 46K step 12 approx $358.00 a day) while still an active carrier as opposed to a piddly 152 a year.

let's say i have 2 months worth. that equals $14,000 approx. while an active carrier as opposed to approx $13.00 a month as a retiree. let's also say i live another 25 years after retirement. i get an additional $3900 total for those 25 years. big whoopie ding dong. the math speaks for itself.

i suppose if you have worked for 30 or 40 years for the PO (egads) and have never taken sick leave it could work out for you. but if you have worked 20, taken your leave for dr/dental visits and maybe have had an accident and/or an operation over those 20, then it isn't that hard of a choice.

but you do you.
If you worked that day and make the $358, you'd now have $358 dollars PLUS $152 a year. Instead you only get the $358 dollars. The math ain't mathing my friend.

I take it you've never made money on stocks because by your logic you'd hate dividend stocks. Why not cash out the $10,000 in shares and have $10,000 in the bank making no more money when you can just leave the $10,000 there and make a measly 1% every month in dividends on top of the $10,000 (assuming the price never changes).

But you do you ...
 
I probably would have retired 2 yrs ago if solely for not having so much SL in the bank that I never ended up needing for some kind of catastrophic event. So that SL balance was exactly like a stock that I wanted to sell high and not after its post retirement value crashed. So I have been aggressively selling that stock while also extending the service time that I would have gotten out of it by holding on to it.

Plus the fact that I’m still receiving dividends on the sold shares of that stock in the form of tsp match and more leave earned that no longer factor into the equation post retirement.
 
Last edited:
it's worth far more to me to get my top dollar (read my high evaluation dollars - 46K step 12 approx $358.00 a day) while still an active carrier as opposed to a piddly 152 a year.

let's say i have 2 months worth. that equals $14,000 approx. while an active carrier as opposed to approx $13.00 a month as a retiree. let's also say i live another 25 years after retirement. i get an additional $3900 total for those 25 years. big whoopie ding dong. the math speaks for itself.

i suppose if you have worked for 30 or 40 years for the PO (egads) and have never taken sick leave it could work out for you. but if you have worked 20, taken your leave for dr/dental visits and maybe have had an accident and/or an operation over those 20, then it isn't that hard of a choice.

but you do you.
I agree 100% with you...when I spoke to one of the postal benefits representatives he said use the sick leave unless you have a year or more in the bank.
 
I'm just curious, why are you trying to burn up sick leave if you don't have too? That will get applied to your retirement down the road, if you get there.

In my case, I'll probably get sicker the closer I get to retirement so it's also good to keep a bunch of time in the bank for those days, in case I can't keep them for my pension.
How many can you actually bank ?
 
How many can you actually bank ?
My understanding is as much as you can keep. There is no cap.

This is what all the people in my state and city offices do and it's infuriates the tax payers since doing this drives up their retirement pay. It's a shame some rural carriers aren't bright enough to see it.
 
I agree 100% with you...when I spoke to one of the postal benefits representatives he said use the sick leave unless you have a year or more in the bank.
If you only have 10 days or a small amount of SL in the bank use it. It's pointless at that point, but if you only have a little time by the time you retire and you didn't have a good reason to use it other than to use it you weren't thinking long term and probably aren't good with money any way.
 
I probably would have retired 2 yrs ago if solely for not having so much SL in the bank that I never ended up needing for some kind of catastrophic event. So that SL balance was exactly like a stock that I wanted to sell high and not after its post retirement value crashed. So I have been aggressively selling that stock while also extending the service time that I would have gotten out of it by holding on to it.

Plus the fact that I’m still receiving dividends on the sold shares of that stock in the form of tsp match and more leave earned that no longer factor into the equation post retirement.
If I'm understanding your point, this logic is why the rural craft is losing the battle. I hope none of the "use all of it" people are in any positions in the union or influence.

You aren't selling it high. You're losing the stock that is making you the dividends! Why not sell all of your TSP right now and cash it out since the market will crash someday!

I'll bet some of these people scan letters before flats .... :ROFLMAO:
 
Back
Top