• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Overtime list (rdwl)

Lyra

A) when does the overtime list come out for regulars?

B ) as a regular we have been working our K day every week... (yes, we did fill out 120 letter)

C) If we don’t sign.. I know being forced to work goes by jr regular. We get an X day plus Half day pay. I know carriers who didn’t sign are getting an R5..

since we are being abused working our day off..all the regulars said they aren’t going to sign the new list. By working every K day.. what happens if I’m a 2080 issue!?

Last edited:

B ) as a regular we have been working our K day every week... (yes, we did fill out 120 letter)

C) If we don’t sign.. I know being forced to work goes by jr regular. We get an X day plus Half day pay. I know carriers who didn’t sign are getting an R5..

since we are being abused working our day off..all the regulars said they aren’t going to sign the new list. By working every K day.. what happens if I’m a 2080 issue!?

Working a 5 only goes to 2240 unless working over the eval, then the overage goes to 2080. Working for an X whether R or 3 goes to both 2080 & 2240.
If there’s an issue, that’s on mgmt for forcing you to work & not hiring enough subs. Don’t let them force you to use your Leave if you didn’t already plan to. Mgmt CAN pay you Admin Leave if they need to keep you under at the end of September/October. They can also have you work 1/2 days by giving assistance. I’ve seen carriers paid Admin for all of September just to keep them under. I worked 1/2 days for 2 weeks to be kept under. Cased my route, pulled it down, & went home.

When they call you in the office for 2080 issues what is the paper they want you to sign? should I sign it? Don't want to use my annual leave in September because I can't use it now or the summer due to no subs.

When they call you in the office for 2080 issues what is the paper they want you to sign? should I sign it? Don't want to use my annual leave in September because I can't use it now or the summer due to no subs.

You do not have to sign a Commitment Form to use leave to stay under if you’ve been trying to take Leave & it’s constantly denied. Keep ALL denied 3971 leave slips as proof that you’ve tried to control your hours. File a Grievance if mgmt takes your leave & forces you off. They can force you to be off but it needs to be paid as Admin Leave.

Jess -- "when does the overtime list come out for regulars?"

-- Actually "overtime list" is more a city carrier term as in OTD List = Over Time Desired.

-- Rurals deal with the RDWL = Relief Day Work List

-- Article 8.5.A of the contract and also the April 2019 edition of the national magazine.

-- The RDWL should be posted for 2 weeks, then manglement has a week to put it in order of seniority

-- The first opportunity to sign the RDWL is 3 week prior to the start of the New Guarantee Year ( usually in late September )

-- The second opportunity is 3 weeks prior to the first full pay period in May ( look for it on 18 April 2020 )

Im not going to sign..

Say Im needed to work. There is only 2 carriers off on Friday. Im senior to her.. she doesn't sign but would be forced to work. right?

Say we are both forced to work.

My PM just lets X days sit as a future day off.. he doesn't tell you when you need to use it, it's not used within that same week.. one carrier has 2 X days from last year.

SO How do I get the X day Plus half a day pay?

She, as junior carrier would be mandated in every time one of the two of you is needed to work. There is no rotation in this scenario.

X days not used within 12 weeks should be paid out as if they were a DACA code 5. This only happens though if carriers force the issue; there's nothing in the system to automatically trigger the payment of overtime for an X day that sits beyond the 12 weeks. If carriers are allowing this then there's really no incentive for management to schedule your X days, they'll just let carriers burn their X days in lieu of approved Annual Leave or let the unused X days sit there forever.

To get the X day plus half a days pay put a "3" in the sub column on the 4240 on your N\S day. Submit a leave slip (3971) for the X day on a day that a leave replacement is available and hope for the best. By contract, management does get to choose your "X" day when you put down a DACA code 3 but if they're letting carriers not on the RDWL get code 5 pay then maybe they're either ignorant of the DACA rules or they are aware and are bending them as part of a sweetheart deal.

Last edited:
Our name has to stay on the list the entire time right? We can’t take it off? Right?

Jess don't forget that from the beginning of the guarantee period (mid Oct) to the end of the Xmas period all X days earned must be used the same pay period and can not be saved. So if your office is short subs and the regulars could not use their X days (in the same pay period) then those X days are paid out as overtime (code 5) even if the carrier did not sign the RDWL.

This is what’s happening in our office. We don’t have enough subs to cover routes and give them a day off. So what they are doing is forcing regulars to work their day off versus having an RCA work consecutively..

Don’t get me wrong, everyone needs a day off… I totally get it.

But they’re not even calling other offices to see if anyone wants to work. And then when a sub does work your route, you come back to a huge mess of undeliverable packages and mail

so.. let’s say I take my name off the list. And there are subs sitting at home to get their day off and I’m forced to work… Management does X days a little different in our office they just use them as a regular annual day. So they don’t force them to use it within 12 weeks.

So I write down R3 which is 50% of pay for the day plus, I will get a future x day?

One carrier in our office had a whole week of leave and it was 5 X days.

This is what’s happening in our office. We don’t have enough subs to cover routes and give them a day off. So what they are doing is forcing regulars to work their day off versus having an RCA work consecutively..

Don’t get me wrong, everyone needs a day off… I totally get it.

But they’re not even calling other offices to see if anyone wants to work. And then when a sub does work your route, you come back to a huge mess of undeliverable packages and mail

so.. let’s say I take my name off the list. And there are subs sitting at home to get their day off and I’m forced to work… Management does X days a little different in our office they just use them as a regular annual day. So they don’t force them to use it within 12 weeks.

So I write down R3 which is 50% of pay for the day plus, I will get a future x day?

One carrier in our office had a whole week of leave and it was 5 X days.

Yes to your R3. X-day should be scheduled by mgmt but a lot of mgmt will let us choose.
The new Contract will have in it that Mgmt MAY borrow a sub from up to 50 miles away before using a non-RDWL Carrier. Keyword is MAY & at this moment it’s not in print. If a sub is sitting at home (not by request) & you’re forced to work, you AND the sub would have a Grievance. Yours is that you were denied your Relief Day while a Leave Replacement was available. The Sub’s Grievance is that they have the contractual right to work a route prior to mgmt using the RDWL.

no one in our office files a Grievance but me.. the sub wouldn't file a Grievance because they want a day off. Basically they are giving subs a day off so they are not on a list.. all it's doing is making the PM look good. I have a feeling.. even if I take my name off the list.. I'll be forced to work anyways.

Jess -- "I have a feeling.. even if I take my name off the list.. I'll be forced to work anyways. "

-- Being able to take DACA CODE 5 ( 150% ) pay is all the more reason to keep your name on the RDWL list.

-- Otherwise off the RDWL, its only DACA CODE 3 ( 50% and an X-Day ) which you may or may not be able to use.

IF you never want a day off get on the list! Our union mage the RCA shortage worse with new lower wage tables while giving themselves a big raise with sick leave cash outs! Sound familiar? Similar to management! Our own union officials taking our dues to pad their own pockets while screwing us the members with lower wages and benefits! How do the union officers expect new lower wage carriers to afford their union dues? I do not see why anyone would believe in a union that is self-serving to its officers while feeding management it's members young to the wolves?

Back