• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Packages in Pictures --FREE STUFF--

C$$

This idea was prompted by @Skierstmoritz in this thread:

Twisting in the wind! Aka, hung out to dry

But, personally, I'm dealing with more than Christmas level package volume and getting sick of it. So here's what I'm proposing:
  1. Take a picture of your vehicle loaded down with packages.
  2. How many packages are you over evaluation?
  3. Text the number and the picture to the call in line: (315) 338-4268. -OR- send to me as a private message through this site.
  4. We’ll combine the pictures into a wall calendar.
  5. Then we’ll send a calendar to each of the national board members and the PMG.
PLEASE! Don't take any pictures inside the PO. But what happens out on the loading dock or in your vehicle...

Also, I'll make sure there isn't anything incriminating in the photos; everything totally anonymous. I'll censor addresses, license plates, street signs, etc. There won't be any references to names or phone numbers either.

The idea: give leadership a glimpse into the current life of a rural carrier. Some of our leadership hasn't even carried a route since Amazon's inception... Now they'll have a handy daily reminder of the challenges facing rural carriers.

If you'd like one of these calendars, I will give some out for free, if people are interested. I've got $1,200 of stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket after all ;)

And hey, hang in there, we'll get through this.
C$$

Last edited:
C$$ -- "Packages in Pictures. Also, I'll make sure there isn't anything incriminating in the photos; everything totally anonymous. I'll censor addresses, license plates, street signs, etc. There won't be any references to names or phone numbers either."

-- Don't forget to blur / blot out the LLV vehicle number!

" I've got $1,200 of stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket after all."

-- THAT could buy a lot of brakes for RCA's -- if they would sign up!

-- Consider moving up to shock absorbers or struts or transmissions, maybe?

Doesn't matter if you have 40 or 400 scans I'm betting most are 50% above count figures yet are expected to maintain the schedule
leave times
return times
load times

what a crock

Yes, exactly, it is a crock! If we want change, we need documentation. If carriers don't want to do it my way, that's cool. But please do find a way to record the surge in package volume.

I say, show the arbitrator a carrier with 300 packages to deliver, then let the USPS try to compare us to a pizza delivery boy/girl!

Another advantage of a picture: 30 years from now you can show it to your grandchildren, and explain the vital role you played in the pandemic of 2020.

Union has been getting Numbers of rural survey routes since 2015 on everything we do the only change they allowed the reload scan be removed. 45 minutes to a hour on load time 15 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day to set and reload. Most of Duke Street has not Been on a route since the late 90's just change jobs one person one vote on all officers state and national and then vote give us the power not those that attend the Conventions. Give us the voice and then VOTE in the change

C$$ -- "I say, show the arbitrator a carrier with 300 packages to deliver, then let the USPS try to compare us to a pizza delivery boy/girl! "

-- Better yet, have an arbitration accompany the carrier while delivering all 300 packages of the day. Be sure to show the arbitrator the 4241 which shows the route averaged, say 50+ packages a day during the last count.

-- Tell the arbitrator to bring water and snacks. Make the bathroom break short while the carrier is reloading the vehicle.

-- Don't bother bringing a cell phone as cell phone usage is not allowed, at least while the vehicle is moving.

-- Way back when, supposedly Arbitrator Wells lasted about 30 minutes while riding with a carrier. No way to confirm or deny it happened, but sounds about right!

One of the truly unique aspects of the rural contract is - it is a Nationwide agreement on wages, working conditions and benefits. Every other craft contract is negotiable at the local level for some part of those three items. It's very difficult to fit a texas watermelon sized problem into an Washington tea bag sized cup. To benefit the majority there is always going to be the outlier discontent. Perhaps carriers should consider local working conditions or rules instead of a general contract. One contract to rule them all is breaking the system. I know it certainly doesn't really cover the costs of doing business in pricey California. But, if I was to move to Mississippi, I'd be doing significantly better.

I applaud you ruraldeviation and C$$ for trying to create discussion and solutions. Even more for trying to learn the history of the current system. One cannot advance without understanding where you were.

How about some pictures of the swollen knuckles of my right hand?

It started in November of 2018, and is directly related to parcel volumes.
The swelling and pain in my hand literally tracks parcel volume, up and down.

(I created a blisters between my swollen knuckles trying to start my lawnmower yesterday afternoon.
Yes, I was wearing gloves! Will tape up blisters today, and do some IF to reduce the swelling.
I love yard work, it helps me decompress. ? )

Last edited:
Just a quick bump, please forgive the plug if not interested:

My Spidey sense in tingling. I'm expecting a flood of packages tomorrow (Monday).

If you are disgusted by all these packages, being delivered on your dime, let's do something about it. Start documenting the problem. Take a picture, send it to me, it's that easy.

I won't guarantee change, but I will guarantee that if you don't act, nothing will ever change.

Good luck tomorrow! Stay Safe!
C$$

My idea is a long shot, as every idea is about getting the attention of union higher ups. I suggest that we organize 10% of union members to find out when their anniversary date is and commit to ending their membership. Here's how it might work. My old office had 10 rural routes. I would suggest a group meeting and the one who is the most pissed off is chosen. They are the most likely to see it through and also will get the most enjoyment out of it. Once someone is chosen and the anniversary date is discovered, that person should write a letter to the union telling them of their intention to quit and the reason/reasons why. Let's say it takes a month to get the word out and another month to find out anniversary dates, then one week should be decided to send all the letters. Those whose date is before the letter writing campaign should write theirs when they can. That many letters coming in with the anniversary date included might shake them up, after all it is their pay.

Last edited:
A fellow carrier in my office called his union rep to complain about the parcel avalanche we’re experiencing and to ask what the union is going to do about it. The reps response - “at least there’s no mail!” ??‍♂️ So glad they’re not getting my money. I’m a table 2 regular and I plan on joining the union as soon as they get us the same pay (plus retro) as table 1. Any guesses on what year I’ll be joining the union?

Yesterday 5/5/20 I had 427 packages and the normal volume of mail. (I almost sh!t)
It took me 3 hours in the office and 7.5 hours on the route.
I got back at 7PM and I was not the last one back either. I don't fool around on my route. I hustle and never take a lunch.
That's 10.5 hrs on an evaluated route of 7.4 hrs.
I / we are getting screwed badly.
I'm ready to go hourly.

On any given average day I’m double what was at count.

Obviously now it’s quadruple most days

RRECS won’t even be implemented for minimum 2 years as they have to make mapping and 4003 LOT digital. So whether it’s good or bad, we have a loooooong wait.

Need count please.
Pretty please ?

Back