• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

POV changing to gov vehicle?

YouBetchya

New member
Hey RMT,

My route is currently a POV route which i really enjoy. in my office we have 10 routes, 8 of which use a gov vehicle to deliver and 2 routes (mine and another) use POV to deliver. hearing a lot of talk from the current OIC trying to get the last two POV routes switched over to be postal vehicle routes. anyone ever been through this change before? I like using my own vehicle but talking with others in the office I can see the benefits of having a gov vehicle as well. really going to stink losing out on the EMA though, I run a 60 mile route so the ema is a nice chunk in the paycheck every week. curious what I should expect with the possible change, only thing I've heard is that its been approved to change it from POV to postal vehicle, they never asked us if we wanted to change, they're trying to do it without involving the carriers.
 
I know offices that have been begging for government vehicles for years and are still waiting though they "are on the list". Other offices resisted the change and still were forced to use new government vehicles. I am informally observing that the routes that remain POV extensively travel unimproved roads. If you leave the pavement a lot on your route you may be safe from getting a GOV as USPS doesn't seem to want them used for off-road racing ;)
 
Once they decide you're changing from POV to GOV, it's done. You don't get a say in it. I tried to refuse mine at first, and it didn't fly. Jaymacgthree is right, though. Hearing about it doesn't make it so, until it actually shows up in your parking lot.

You will likely have to attend training before you can drive it if you haven't driven a RHD or that model of GOV in over a year.

Up to you whether you keep your POV around for awhile (considering you're a regular). If the GOV becomes unavailable, they can ask you to use your POV, but they can't force you. What you lose in EMA will be offset by fuel, repairs, insurance etc.

Going to GOV is kind of a double-edged sword. Nice to know you don't have to run home and slap on brake pads at the end of the day, but terrible to see the state of disrepair they'll allow on your GOV.
 
"If you leave the pavement a lot on your route you may be safe from getting a GOV as USPS doesn't seem to want them used for off-road racing"

I have an 80 mile route, lots of gravel. There is an NGDV for my route. I haven't been forced into it yet but will be eventually. Have driven it a few times and I do not see that it will survive long out there. I don't think route surface is a factor in deciding with the new vehicles.
 
Once they decide you're changing from POV to GOV, it's done. You don't get a say in it. I tried to refuse mine at first, and it didn't fly. Jaymacgthree is right, though. Hearing about it doesn't make it so, until it actually shows up in your parking lot.
I have refused the NGDV, since June. Have not been forced into it yet. Something to do with asking the OIC if he knows how much sick leave I have accumulated. In an office with only 1 RCA. It took a couple minutes but he did get the message. I will be forced before long but will refuse to use that thing in the winter. Not going to put my life on the line in snow, ice, mountains with 8-10% grades.
 
I will be forced before long but will refuse to use that thing in the winter.
I hear ya. My Metris wouldn't make it up the small hill right outside the post office with an inch of unplowed snow on it. Had to back down into the intersection. Fortunately, my little southern town basically shuts down for snow, so there was no one approaching. From that point on, if a road wasn't plowed and treated, it was a no go. I warned my replacement after I left, but he put it in the ditch anyway. Super lucky he didn't roll it over.

Is someone else in your office driving that new duck, or is it sitting there waiting for you? Good luck to you when they make you take it.
 
Back
Top