• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Purgatory

This is all new to me so what do u guys think?? I completed academy march 20 as well as my shadow day.OJT was we for the following week. I was informed by my pm that due to social distancing I wld not be able to do OJT Nd wld only be able to wrk Amazon Sunday’s doing parcels until further notice. I asked/offered if I cld do anything at all scrub toilets whatever I didn’t care I just needed to work. I was then told they were looking into splitting some routes to get us (there are 3 other ppl in same boat) some hours. After 3 weeks of no work other than Sunday I called union rep to ask if there was anything I cld do. I understand corona is new to everyone Nd no protocol but they hve to understand I’m a single mom w bills Nd a kid that depends on me. The following week I was called 4 outta 7 days. Not 8 hrs a day more like 2-4 but I was glad for whatever I cld get. I had been working another job that closed due to corona the week I started academy Nd they called asking me if I cld come back after reopening. They understood I works for p.o. Now Nd that it wld take first priority but we’re willing to wrk we me so I cld wrk both places. I told my pm Nd all sudden I’m called daily for a week ( I’m expected to be on call availabile at a moments notice for p.o. Every day) and I cldnt make it to other job on scheduled time. With not being able to give 2nd job a day/time I cld def be there if scheduled I felt only fair to them not to continue being scheduled Nd late. Now the following week that I’ve stopped working there the p.o. Haven’t called once. I can’t survive on 10 hrs a week. They refuse to do OJT even tho they’ve made ways to do w social distancing. I can’t wrk another job bc I’m on call. All I want to do is survive Nd i can’t get any cooperation. I was an ARc until I did academy so I’ve been here for a minute. I don’t call in. I don’t show late. I started 2 days before Christmas Nd stuck around. Oh and somehow 2 other ppl were able to get their OJT before me (I was told bc I had to take break in service when switching to rca) and are on routes working 6 days a week. Also other carrier are coming from other offices to work Nd I’m not being called to do parcels. What am I supposed to do? What can I do? Thanks!

Find the name and number of the District Steward. Call them and explain. They oversee the RCA facilitator program. The district steward will call the LDDC and demand answers. They in turn will call the poom, who will call the PM, who will call you apologizing and scheduling your OTJ training.

And if you want to, I think you have a grievance to get any potential back pay for days you should have worked and to get your time reset so you get 5 weeks of ACTUAL time (which I believe they are screwing you out of)

Deliverordie05 -- "This is all new to me so what do u guys think?? "

-- For starters, to help some of us older personnel, please spell out words.

"they hve to understand I’m a single mom w bills Nd a kid that depends on me."

-- Unfortunately, the USPS doesn't really care about your personal situation.

-- It is along the lines of the military. If Uncle Sam wanted you to have a family, one would have been issued in your duffle bag. ( harsh, but true )

" ( I’m expected to be on call availabile at a moments notice for p.o. Every day) "

-- Actually you are not "on-call" despite what manglement may say.

-- Along those lines, some post offices have an "understanding" that RCA's should hang around the phone, but only until 9 o'clock or whatever time has been agreed upon. Sort of like a local MOU, which the NRLCA tends to frown upon. )

-- If you want or need the work, answer the phone. If not, don't. That goes for text messages from the post office too.

-- Would the other job be enough for you and your kid ( age? )? Hopefully it would be steady work. Health coverage would be a bonus. You don't have much time committed to the USPS, so if possible, this would be a good time to walk away. ( run, actually )

"I was an ARc until I did academy so I’ve been here for a minute."

-- How long were you an ARC? Keep any paperwork documenting your time as an ARC as it may be useful should you opt to stay with the USPS. Length of TOTAL PRIOR POSTAL SERVICE is one of the tiebreakers when seeking a higher position. Actually #4 of the list of tiebreakers ( ahead of test score ) It might make up for the break in service ( 6 or 7 days? ) between ARC and RCA designations.

-- "Morty" has some good suggestions to follow up on.

-- During your Academy days, were you approached to join the NRLCA? If so, did you?

"(I was told bc I had to take break in service when switching to rca) ".

- Might want have your office steward or if none, your Assistant District Representative ( other carriers should know the contact info for the ADR ) look into that "break in service".

- Page 25 of the ARC Powerpoint Presentation: There will be no yearly break in service required to remain an ARC.

- Unless you put in paperwork to resign as an ARC, then you were an ARC one day and an RCA the next ( hence - no break in service. JHMO -- Not unless the USPS has a some special way to handle the change from ARC to RCA. Anyone?? )

-- From what you have posted ( so far ), I'd be taking a long look at the previous job -- at least they did call you.

-- Good luck and keep posting. ( whole words or not )

I have no problem being on call at this point I’m waiting staring at the phone wishing they call. I just want to be able to work. I understand nobody was prepared for all that’s going on. I have wanted to work at post office for long time and am willing to wait it out for as long as I can but I’m sinking fast with bills.

And yes I am nrlca member. I apologize I don’t know all the official verbiage for everything yet. And I will try to use whole words from here out. :) I don’t want to piss off my boss by rocking the boat....and I’m not trying to be difficult to deal with I’m just at a loss for what to do. My other job was only a temporary job scheduled to end in September. I am ineligible for the unemployment at this point as well. I like working for post office and want to continue.

Sounds like you are ARC.
Not sure you have any rights under union???
Are you RCA or ARC?
ARCs are governed under the same contract as rurals. Same Union. The only issue is the 90 probationary period takes forever to get off of because it’s 90 worked days and they work like one day a week.

Agree, when I started seeing all those Nd's I just quit reading! sorry

Thanks that makes me feel better, I though it was just me not being able to read text language or something.

I guess as btdtret said "-- For starters, to help some of us older personnel, please spell out words". I almost gave up trying to translate also.

Last edited:
And yes I am nrlca member. I apologize I don’t know all the official verbiage for everything yet. And I will try to use whole words from here out. :) I don’t want to piss off my boss by rocking the boat....and I’m not trying to be difficult to deal with I’m just at a loss for what to do. My other job was only a temporary job scheduled to end in September. I am ineligible for the unemployment at this point as well. I like working for post office and want to continue.

Partial Unemployment compensation can be claimed for reduction to normal income during this pandemic period of time!

Back