• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Regular on route broke wrist, I'm next in seniority but...

uspsjdawg

New member
A regular with no substitute on file broke her wrist and will be out for (minimum) 6 weeks.I'm next in seniority to hold a route down. I requested that I be placed on the route.We've got a new supervisor who is being advised by the former supervisor.New supervisor is telling me I can't have the route because the subs below me can't carry big routes and that they need me to do them. If I take this hold down, they'll have to split routes I normally carry by myself between multiple RCAs.Of course I tell the supervisor that I understand and feel for them but that situation doesn't affect me. It's not my job to carry the big routes so the other newer subs can take it easy and carry little routes. I'm concerned that I won't be treated fairly in this situation.Is there anything I can do? Should I grieve?
 
Are you next in line on the matrix for the route? If no matrix backup rca, did you request in writing to be placed on matrix for route or be placed as sub of record? If not request in writing ( keep a dated copy of your request) and advise your nearest union steward. They can not deny an rca an opportunity to earn more money on another route. That is punitive punishment. You might be required to assist other rca's on lighter routes if needed.
 
If a carrier is expected to be off their route for more than 30 days, mgmt should allow the Secondary & Tertiary the opportunity to take the route as a Primary. If neither want the route, it should be offered by seniority. If nobody wants to switch Primaries, mgmt is to follow the O-6.
Mgmt cannot pick & choose who runs a route by the route size. The O-6 Order of Consideration is to be followed when scheduling route coverage regardless of the size of the route.
 
<blockquote data-userid="2688" data-postid="37558"><div class="wpforo-post-quote-author"><strong>Posted by: gotstamps</strong></div>If a carrier is expected to be off their route for more than 30 days, mgmt should allow the Secondary & Tertiary the opportunity to take the route as a Primary. If neither want the route, it should be offered by seniority. If nobody wants to switch Primaries, mgmt is to follow the O-6.<br />Mgmt cannot pick & choose who runs a route by the route size. The O-6 Order of Consideration is to be followed when scheduling route coverage regardless of the size of the route.</blockquote>E.Filling a Leave Replacement Vacancy 1.When a vacancy occurs in the leave replacement ranks, management may add it to a part-time flexible rural carrier’s assignment or it shall be offered, at the time of the initial vacancy, to qualified substitutes, rural carrier associates, and rural carrier relief employees in that office in the order of the longest period of continuous service in the office, without regard to classification. If the vacancy continues to exist and the route has been substantially changed (i.e., classification, relief day, or assignment of vehicle) or the regular carrier assigned to the route has been on an extended absence for more than 30 calendar days, the assignment(s) shall be offered again to qualified substitutes, rural carrier associates, and rural carrier relief employees in the office in the order of the longest period of continuous service in the office, without regard to classification.
 
Deer- I stand corrected. It is the 2nd position that I was thinking of that must be offered to the 3rd prior to filling by seniority. The primary position is by seniority only.

The OP could file a grievance if mgmt doesn’t agree. Of course the Reg may be back on their route by the time a grievance is actually settled. The question is whether it’s worth fighting for a few weeks on a route to change Primaries. When the Regular returns, there is no changing again until another Primary becomes available.
 
<blockquote data-userid="2688" data-postid="37562"><div class="wpforo-post-quote-author"><strong>Posted by: gotstamps</strong></div>Deer- I stand corrected. It is the 2nd position that I was thinking of that must be offered to the 3rd prior to filling by seniority. The primary position is by seniority only.The OP could file a grievance if mgmt doesn’t agree. Of course the Reg may be back on their route by the time a grievance is actually settled. The question is whether it’s worth fighting for a few weeks on a route to change Primaries. When the Regular returns, there is no changing again until another Primary becomes available.</blockquote>No harm, no foul. I've half read posts and responded incorrectly also.  ? 
 
Back
Top