• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

September Count

The postal service just had their heiny handed to them in a SPRING count, I would doubt they would want to push the issue during the "inflated" fall period. Just a guess. 

There's a clerk in another office who often gets to sit in on the conference calls when her PM is out of the office. She told us there was talk of a September count during one of them recently. Not getting my hopes up or holding my breath from that source.

Would love to have one though. I'd get my K route back. My under evaluated H route is getting old fast.

Mailgirl79 -- "Ive heard rumor after rumor of there being a September count. has anyone heard any official word of this?"

-- You are the first to bring it up.

-- Article 9.C.3.a.(3): The Employer reserves the right to conduct a national count of mail for all routes during the last twelve ( 12 ) working days in September of any year. The Employer agrees to notify the Union at the national level at least thirty ( 30 ) days in advance of the commencement of the count.

-- For September 2018, the last 12 working days would be 17th ( Monday ) through the 29th ( Saturday ).

-- Notification at least 30 days in advance would make 18 August the drop dead date for notification.

-- With the national convention being held 14-17 August, there is the chance no one will be in the HQ office to take delivery of a certified letter from the USPS or to monitor the fax machine(s) for the USPS's notification.

-- With some 17,000 routes being identified as overburdened as a result of the 2018 count, questionable if the USPS would try to get some more free work hours by having a September count.

-- Might also depend on how successful Amazon is developing their own delivery systems as well as in recruiting "independent contractor" delivery drivers through out the country.

-- Most likely there will always be the "last mile" that needs to be covered by the rural carriers.

From what I understand, the new requirements for a route to be included in a special mail count in September is that any route that has changed in adjustment of at least 4 hours AND will change from an 'L' route to a 'non- L ' route or vise versa.  I believe there are lots of routes that will be counted next month, mine included. I am excited to finally be classified as a non-L route so I can come closer to receiving the more correct pay for what I do. 

There's an AUX route that I cover once in a while that has more mail and packages than the vast majority of my K routes... The only things keeping it from being a K route is mileage

"Lol! No way an h route has enough volume to go to a k!So dumb"

Jshark - If you are referring to my comment above, my route went from a 43K to a 43H thanks to this last mail count in Feb/Mar. If we count in September, it will bounce right back up again because it triples in volume this half of the year.

I'm not dumb, I just work for the postal service.

We were told that we will be counting in September newly formed routes and any rt that has had a two hour adjustments. My question is: it says if you have a two hour change and go from an L route to a non L route . But our rts didn’t go from an L rt or non L but did go thru adjustment and we have a two hour and more change so how can they count us if both didn’t happen?

Grieve and cite the reference of L to non L. Trust me, if we wanted to count and had a two hour decrease but didn’t go from L to non L you can bet your ass they wouldn’t let you. Stand up, or get steamrolled. Smile and file.

L is nothings no more than a designation that says you have 12 or more boxes per mile. All it means is that you get paid a different standard for curbside boxes, * 1.87 min vs 2.0 min during mail count. HJK refer to the number of days per pay period you work. The L is just a letter used to show how dense you’re routenis with boxes per mile.

No. Being an L Has nothing to do with it reaching the needed number of hours to become regular. L designates DENSITY of the route.

I am thinking a Count this September will be a good one.......we are getting a boat load of political mailings and Christmas catalogs start in September....with all the Amazon Parcels.....it will be a good count.

Back