• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Spouse is sick, now I am forced to take a test

LouSainus

My girlfriend is sick and might have covid-19 she is being tested this week. So I called my supervisor to let him know as we are required to inform them of any testing done on people we know personally and he asked the PM what to do. They said I am required to get tested and should not come into work until the test is back. They scheduled me as sick. I feel fine to work no symptoms currently.

My question is am I forced to burn through sick leave for this or is it admin paid leave? Some of the documents are vague, one of the early ones describing quarantine after coming back from a cruise says its admin leave. The one for RCAs says 80 hours of paid leave is available and yet another says allow liberal use of sick leave. I am a regular. They are asking me to call into the sick leave hotline to request unscheduled leave

Edit here is a bit of info not sure if this information applies

Last edited:
I don't know. I would play a game of words...

Lets say it comes back negative, you did your 2 week quarantine. Fine, now you may have a grievance. Because there is no 3971 for sick leave that you signed. And you were ordered to stay home.

Fight for admin leave, but don't feel bad for not potentially infecting the workplace and residents you serve.

My girlfriend is sick and might have covid-19 she is being tested this week. So I called my supervisor to let him know as we are required to inform them of any testing done on people we know personally and he asked the PM what to do. They said I am required to get tested and should not come into work until the test is back. They scheduled me as sick. I feel fine to work no symptoms currently.

My question is am I forced to burn through sick leave for this or is it admin paid leave? Some of the documents are vague, one of the early ones describing quarantine after coming back from a cruise says its admin leave. The one for RCAs says 80 hours of paid leave is available and yet another says allow liberal use of sick leave. I am a regular. They are asking me to call into the sick leave hotline to request unscheduled leave

You have to test positive and have medical documentation that you need to self quarantine. You will get 2 weeks paid by the PO.

Last edited:
I think you qualify under the Families First Corona Virus Response Act for Emergency Sick Leave. You can find out more here: Families First Coronavirus Response Act FAQs Regarding “liberal sick leave”— I know of several instances of carriers and clerks who have been allowed to use their sick leave because they are anxious about working with the public right now, so—at least in my district—anything pretty much goes 8229797B-7E2F-4A33-AE2A-155C377F5D49.jpeg

Last edited:
You have to test positive and have medical documentation that you need to self quarantine. You will get 2 weeks paid by the PO.

Thats the MOU for RCAs to get paid leave. I have not really seen anything besides the managers recommendation thing regarding regulars. Also the sick call hotline automated message says to contact your supervisor for leave requests using the families first corona virus response act.

They told me I need to take a test and not to come into work until then. I dont feel sick at all seems like it should be admin leave since they are telling me to do this?

Thats the MOU for RCAs to get paid leave. I have not really seen anything besides the managers recommendation thing regarding regulars. Also the sick call hotline automated message says to contact your supervisor for leave requests using the families first corona virus response act.

They told me I need to take a test and not to come into work until then. I dont feel sick at all seems like it should be admin leave since they are telling me to do this?
The MOU addresses the Family First Act. Call out and state it’s related to COVID 19. If it’s positive, you’re entitled to the admin pay.

I think you qualify under the Families First Corona Virus Response Act for Emergency Sick Leave. You can find out more here: Families First Coronavirus Response Act FAQs

So I guess I fall under category 3 of that?
3. You are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis.

Forced medical diagnosis I guess would fall under that? I dont really have symptoms but my GF does. She got tested today they did flu, strep and corona samples with the two former being in office tests and both negative. The corona test they have to send off all which take 2-10 days. I have to schedule a test for myself I guess. But its weird as the doctors suggested against testing her for covid-19 because they said the labs are backed up with tests and it could be a while. She cant go back to work until her results are in either.

This is the other info about it

So I guess I fall under category 3 of that?
3. You are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis.

Forced medical diagnosis I guess would fall under that? I dont really have symptoms but my GF does. She got tested today they did flu, strep and corona samples with the two former being in office tests and both negative. The corona test they have to send off all which take 2-10 days. I have to schedule a test for myself I guess. But its weird as the doctors suggested against testing her for covid-19 because they said the labs are backed up with tests and it could be a while. She cant go back to work until her results are in either.

This is the other info about it
No, I think you fall under #2 (I tried to highlight that portion of the policy): "You have been advised by a health care provider to self quarantine due to concerns about COVID-19." You've been directed by your employer to get tested, and when you go to get tested, the doctor will tell you to self quarantine until the results are back.

And, as an aside, I'd get new doctors if they're actually telling her not to get tested because because of a "backlog." What kind of sense does that make?????

You should be on administrative leave. YOU aren't sick, your managers are having you stay home due to them being worried you may pass a sickness. When you come back, or speak to your managers explain that to them, also tell them you put in NO LEAVE SLIP, but were told to stay home by them. Until you ARE sick there is no need to use sick leave, nor can you legally do it.
Remember that on the lower right corner of our 3971 (leave slip) it says,
"Warning: The furnishing if false information may result in a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both (18 U.S C.1001)".
Tell your managers, that's why you CAN'T put in a leave slip, and no slip, no sick leave.

This was my experience 2 weeks off - paid?.
I received 2 days of "O" time.
I called when I found out about the person. I stated that I was willing to work. What do you want me to do? I was told to stay home. Follow whatever recommendations from my Doctor.

Last edited:
She came back positive but I dont have any symptoms. They are saying I am required to come in since I dont have any symptoms... I told them about asymptomatic carriers and they said "I am not a doctor I dont know what that means but if you are not feeling sick you are not sick"

She came back positive but I dont have any symptoms. They are saying I am required to come in since I dont have any symptoms... I told them about asymptomatic carriers and they said "I am not a doctor I dont know what that means but if you are not feeling sick you are not sick"
If you live with a person that tests positive your out for 14 days. Search for USPS Covid decision tree.Screenshot_2020-06-27-12-55-50.png

Idiots, our leaders are total idiots! They would rather put all your fellow coworkers and their family's at risk, instead of finding coverage for your route, morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make a copy of "Deer smearer" Covid decision tree and enlighten the azzhole!

Last edited:
Back