• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Stockholm Syndrome?

hunchback

A person can develop Stockholm syndrome when they experience significant threats to their physical or psychological well-being. A kidnapped person may develop positive associations with their captors if they have face-to-face contact with them.

I sometimes wonder if those of us that continue to take the abuse they dish out aren't suffering from a form of Stockholm Syndrome?

I actually see people post on here that they couldn't do better anywhere else. ( I.E. My captors don't treat me that bad, I could be worse of somewhere else)

A few years ago Fast Food Workers were picketing their employers to be paid a "Living Wage" $15 per hour. Now $20 per hour is the defacto Minimum wage in most areas to say "Would you like fries with that" or "Welcome to Chinamart". Those folks aren't forced to work 7 days a week in the heat, rain, snow and pitch dark. Or forced to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a suitable vehicle and 10's of thousands to maintain your personal fleet.

But some Table 2 think they can't do better than this? (I.E. My captors don't treat me that bad, I could be worse off somewhere else)

The mass resignations prove that not everyone is so susceptible to this strain of Stockholm Syndrome

There is much logic in your assessment. Especially for those with some time in. The longer "you're" there , the more "you" become institutionalized and the more "normal" the abuse becomes. I use my alarm clock analogy. What is the purpose of an alarm clock ? To wake you up out of a sound sleep. There is NO WAY that is healthy or good for ANYONE in any way shape or form. Now, we all hear about smoking, drinking and eating donuts but no one ever mentions the YEARS of sleep of which our bodies are deprived. Anyway, no one thinks anything is wrong with being awaken from a sound sleep because we all have done it our whole lives. It's like me yanking the dinner plate out from under you while you ARE STILL eating. Oh, you'll live but you will suffer consequences from not enough nourishment. Ever since we were young getting awaken for school and into our adult lives we are and continue to be awaken from sound sleep. So, this seems "normal" because it is all we have ever known. That does not make it good. Ever wonder why when you wake up on your own you have all kinds of energy ? Because you are rested. When "bad" is the norm, it is not perceived as "bad".

There is much logic in your assessment. Especially for those with some time in. The longer "you're" there , the more "you" become institutionalized and the more "normal" the abuse becomes.
Genious.!!
The term institutionalized sums it up beautifully.
Shakespear said "brevity is the sole of wit" You are therefore wise.

Has anyone seen Shawshank Redemption? Morgan Freeman played the part of Red who explained to the new inmate Andy what it meant to be institutionalized.
If I knew how to make Gif's I'd have Morgan Freeman giving that speech to a man or woman in a Mail Carriers Uniform

That is "institutionalized." Red's metaphor reveals the true nature of Shawshank -- the walls of the prison restrict the physical freedom of prisoners; not only that, but institutionalization even puts the prisoners in terrible mental chains, shackling their minds as well as their bodies, making them part of the prison itself.

Last edited:
A person can develop Stockholm syndrome when they experience significant threats to their physical or psychological well-being. A kidnapped person may develop positive associations with their captors if they have face-to-face contact with them.

I sometimes wonder if those of us that continue to take the abuse they dish out aren't suffering from a form of Stockholm Syndrome?

I actually see people post on here that they couldn't do better anywhere else. ( I.E. My captors don't treat me that bad, I could be worse of somewhere else)

A few years ago Fast Food Workers were picketing their employers to be paid a "Living Wage" $15 per hour. Now $20 per hour is the defacto Minimum wage in most areas to say "Would you like fries with that" or "Welcome to Chinamart". Those folks aren't forced to work 7 days a week in the heat, rain, snow and pitch dark. Or forced to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a suitable vehicle and 10's of thousands to maintain your personal fleet.

But some Table 2 think they can't do better than this? (I.E. My captors don't treat me that bad, I could be worse off somewhere else)

The mass resignations prove that not everyone is so susceptible to this strain of Stockholm Syndrome
EXACTLY what I have stated on here in the recent past.
We can certainly survive somewhere else. Adjust, reduce, re prioritize. Consider the value of our health and family or friends or personal time.
The union as well as mgmt have echoed words of " can't make this money anywhere else ".
Guess what? We need this money to pay for all the medical bills due to injuries. And some need the money for daycare because they're never home. Others need the money for all the pov repairs!
If you remove what this job COSTS us, it's not hard to make the decision.
I'm counting down the weeks as I sit here.

Back