Thanks for the memories....

btdtret

NHPilot -- "Well...after 10 months and a recent winning bid for a PTF position, I called it quits. "

-- Sorry to hear that, but it is good that you got out before spending ( wasting ) more time in a questionable job.

-- Even worse that you seemed to have a good office and personnel to work with.

-- Must be a small office if they could not find additional work for you.

-- Being a single parent -- yep, time to find other employment elsewhere.

-- Be sure to send a letter to District, the NRLCA HQ, and the PMG stating why you chose to get out. Hopefully ( but doubtful ) such letters will make the HQ personnel realize things are not so great down in the trenches.

-- Best wishes for a quick start to a new career.

Shafted

Good for buddy. The usps has done this to themselves. Like I tell everyone don’t look back. You did the right thing. Best wishes.

DB.Cooper

Once upon a time... maybe 20 or 30 years ago, a rural carrier job in many places could be the ONLY job held in the family, and the family was considered to be at least at the median income level... with Table 2, that is no longer true... that's what I'm sayin'... it's a slippery slope, and we're well down it already... no going back up that I'm seeing... ⛷🏂🏔

johnwayne

Rca isnt bad for those who already have one member of a family with good benefits. If you are not working tons of OT, you can see your kids and spouse and maybe cut down on child care cost. I was basically a stay at home dad with a part time home based business when i started as an rca. Worked out pretty well, but i had parents who would watch my children at a moments notice. So it wasnt bad money for a a part time job, at least in my part of the world. Now im too old to change jobs, and my wife is retiring in 7 years, so i have to carry the health insurance after that. We will see how that shakes out. Maybe it will all be free by then...:LOL:

DB.Cooper

AOC for Prez... money will be obsolete, because everything is FREE... who needs $$$ money then??? 🤑:unsure::rolleyes:

eomr

This is sad to see. Three or four subs have posted on here that they are quitting and others have said that they were considering it. What was once the best job in the Post Office has surely gone downhill.

DB.Cooper

At least one was a PTF... aka career employee, aka 1 foot in the door to being a Regular...

Hail, we've seen plenty of Table 2 Regs on here talking about giving it up, because of the low pay... and this board is just a SMALL percentage of the overall craft...

NRLCA don't care tho... they got theirs... :censored:

DB.Cooper

I once heard a joke, several years ago... it went something like... what's it mean when they're flying the Flag at half staff at the PO??? A: Means they're hiring at the PO... that's how rare it was to be able to get a job at the PO... now we're getting the peeps that couldn't get on at someplace better, like Wally World, or Micky Dee's... :oops:

btdtret

wamailmom -- " I'd just been awarded a PTF position too when I resigned on Monday."

-- Did manglement show you any official paper work regarding how many routes you would be assigned?

-- Was it mentioned before or after you resigned?

-- Walking ( running ) away was the right thing to do in your case.

-- Do a word search in the contract for "PTF" and "part-time flexible" and you'' find you could be plugged in numerous places where manglement needed you when not working an assigned route.

Windindaface

On a tangent here.... HOLY COW we finally have 3 people interested in the RCA gig. Let the interviews commence now that there are 3 and needing 5.

Umm it's going to take another 2-3 weeks before interviews because nobody in my APO or other APOS nearby are qualified to hold interviews. Apparently you need special Machine training to hold interviews. You must sit in on X interviews, control X interviews under observation before one gets their interview award.

wamailmom

BTDT, I knew that I'd won one of the 8 PTF positions posted. We were each supposed to only get two routes in our string, and then they'd use us wherever beyond that. We were supposed to discuss which routes we'd get in our string, and one of them was supposed to be our current primary. Management would get to make the final decision, but we were supposed to have input. Then the next thing I was told, after the positions had been awarded, was that no one was getting to keep their primary and there would be no discussion with us about the routes we got. That was rather the final straw prompting my resignation. It sounds like my resignation letter may have made some difference. At least some people are still getting to work their former primaries. I'll never know what routes I would have been assigned.

Just wish I could figure out what to do now....

DB.Cooper

Who doesn't like "free"... I thought nobody could be against that... :ROFLMAO:

I was just agreeing with John Wayne's above comment "... Maybe it will all be free by then...:LOL:" in #24...

Morty

If you like it, contract bids might be better. A route in my office bid at 60k a year. 20 miles, 150 boxes, 300 in the summer. 3 hours on a heavy day. I make 20k less on my 110 mi 400 box route.

Contractors are on a lower tax bracket if they form an LLC. And you can write off alot of loss.

Had I bid it, Id make more, and be done by 9-10am. And the "benefits"...i could max an IRA and get health insurance and still make more $. I could also hire a sub and pay them more than a regular.