• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Vehicle for Route

rb8jm

I'm looking for a good dependable vehicle for my 52 mile 45K route. I've been using a van I prefer vans that I can drive from passenger side. I would also consider a righthand drive vehicle and any suggestions on a good reliable vehicle

The regular next to me has a similar route and just got a Honda van. She had a crv before and wanted more room (Xmas). She still has the crv if the weather turns nasty.

Weight has never been an issue, we're not carrying coal. It's all about volume, i.e. can we get it all to fit in one trip.

I have a 4 door wrangler. Yesterday 1 customer had 3 boxes, 2 of which would not fit with the rest of the mail no matter what I did to load the Jeep. and since I haven’t been paid yet for my 3rd trips in december, they got a notice for the 2.

Personally I wont buy another wrangler. The only reason I keep mine is I can do most of the minor maintenance myself. Sure they’re trail rated, but I wouldn’t say mail route rated if your route has poorly maintained rural roads. Mine takes a beating

I had a Honda Element, which was a reliable route vehicle for 8 years. Loved it - AWD, shifter on the dash so no hump to straddle, and lots of room. Just recently retired it, and am using it as my commute to work vehicle and back-up. They stopped making them in 2012, so they're getting hard to find in good shape these days.

I've just replaced it with a 2016 Toyota Sienna LE AWD. Same deal with the shifter on the dash, and the console comes out easily with 4 screws. It's bigger than the Element, and I have to admit I'm getting spoiled by the electric sliding side doors. By the time I get out of the vehicle, the door has opened itself so I can grab the parcels. Then push the button, and the door closes itself as I walk the parcel to the door. This has really begun to save my shoulders, as I'm not reaching back for parcels hardly ever anymore. My coworkers do pick on me for having a soccer-mom mobile, though. The day I put the car on the route for the first time, I brought cookies and juice boxes for everyone in the office, which got quite a laugh. They keep looking at it when we load up, and they see how much mail it holds. I really do think some of them will consider one when it's time to replace the ones they have.

I would have considered the Honda Odyssey as well, but it does not have an AWD drive option (gotta have it), and I think the shifter is in the console.

I put a rubbermaid step stool in the chasm between the seats (it fits perfectly), and put a gel foam cushion made for a deer stand on top of it. I found a cheap seat cover made for a recliner that I draped over the whole front seat area so it looks like a bench seat. I sit in the middle but toward the passenger side with trays of mail between me and the passenger door. If I was taller, I could sit over further, but my 32" inseam won't allow it.

I'm currently using a 2015 Ford Transit Connect cargo van that I had converted. I'm just shy of 6' foot, it's a bit tight but I haven't yet banged a knee getting in or out. However, I did have to add three inches to the seat height to both give me more leg room and to make servicing boxes much easier. Just went regular, but as an RCA during Christmas I loaded up and carried a 30 mile 43K and an aux route. It was tight, but manageable.

I will say this: if you have a rough route, ask your reliable mechanic for advice.

I was considering a CRV, but my mechanic said no dice. Has a sub frame and a route like mine would break it in nothing flat. Heck, it has already broken 1 Explorer and 2 Blazers. Am considering a Silverado to take me on out to retirement (7 years) - have heard good things - reliable and tough.

Tranny cooling ! Seems the one meme I've heard more than once. A problem here up north as well. In summer the stop and go with slow forward momentum little forced air needed under 'normal' driving speed is not adequate into the engine area and is heck on the tranny and tranny electronics . If the vehicle does not have a 'trailer' cooling upgrade consider putting in an oversized transmission oil radiator. An extra aftermarket fan in front of the radiators (engine and tranny) with a switch in the cab as an added insurance. Wash out the fins regularly -- daily if dandy lion season !

I have a rough route too, so nothing is gonna last very long. I'm happy if I get 4-5 years out of my POV. Silverado is kind of big for a route, sits too high and probably horrible on gas. If you're considering a truck for a POV, I know theres some Colorado's that come with a front bench seat plus crew cab. I know a few carriers who love using Colorado's on mail route.
Thank you so much!!

...anyone considering a Colorado / Canyon who pays mechanic rates to have their brakes done, I would suggest asking said mechanic for a 'brakes quote' before buying those models. I'm told the brake design changed after the S-10, leading to more labor. ? Ahhh, for the days when everything would fit into a 4wd S-10 Blazer. ? (y)

I started with a Jeep Wrangler and still have it. It was great until Amazon and all the packages I get would not fit so I bought a used Chevy Express Van that had been converted to RHD by a conversion company so no modifications were necessary for me. All my coworkers want to buy it from me but I love it so much, I'll drive it until it can't be driven anymore.

It depends on where you live and how bad the roads are.

Coworker is on his second Colorado, and loves them. The only real problem the first one had was it had drum brakes on the rear, and it ate the wheel cylinders a few times over the years. Stranded him on the route once when I was still an RCA, and I had to finish it for him.

I have a 2000 and a 2006 Toyota Sienna. I've been happy with them. Everyone with Dodge/Chrysler minivans have had nothing but problems....expensive problems.

...anyone considering a Colorado / Canyon who pays mechanic rates to have their brakes done, I would suggest asking said mechanic for a 'brakes quote' before buying those models. I'm told the brake design changed after the S-10, leading to more labor. ? Ahhh, for the days when everything would fit into a 4wd S-10 Blazer. ? (y)
If they weren't so old now I would love another s10 blazer.

As for redesigning vehicles/parts, pretty much every vehicle has design issues - the planned obsolescence has been in full force for decades now, at least.

I had a Jeep Patriot (sucked for the route, BTW) that unless you had long, flexible arms, you had to take the wheel off to change the front turn signal bulb.

I have never driven one on the route, but Ford Explorers pre 2006? I think had the shift on the column so might also make a good route vehicle.

Escape has many many options....parts are cheap and plentiful.....the Ford escape is also labeled under the Mazda and the Mercury Mariner.......2012 year model down....i believe the Ford 2001 -2012 would work fine....

Back