• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Voting by mail will it work or not?

gerl2

Found this article from CNN of all places that decided to do their reporting job ?so do you all believe the PO will be able to handle honest election ballots?

The United States postal service said Friday it is investigating potential issues with absentee ballots in Wisconsin, which held a highly controversial primary on Tuesday in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic.

The probe comes just one day after Wisconsin's US Senators, Republican Ron Johnson and Democrat Tammy Baldwin, sent a letter to the Inspector General of the US Postal Service, urging for an investigation into reports of absentee ballots that were not delivered to voters and the discovery of absentee ballots at a USPS processing center.

The letter cites three issues with Milwaukee County absentee ballots, saying in part that "three tubs of absentee ballots from Appleton and Oshkosh were discovered in USPS's Milwaukee processing center after polls closed on Tuesday" and that batches of absentee ballots requested on March 22 and 23 failed to be delivered to voters.

The third instance cited in the letter involves the village of Fox Point, which is located within Milwaukee County, that reported "that USPS returned to them multiple batches of unsent absentee ballots and they were unable to obtain an explanation from their local post office as to why they were not delivered to the voters who requested them. "

"We are concerned there may be more examples, and request that you promptly open an investigation to determine the cause of these failures, which appear to have disenfranchised many Wisconsin voters," said the senators in the letter.

In a statement on Friday, Postal Service spokesman David Partenheimer said that they "have been made aware of potential issues with absentee ballots in Wisconsin and are currently conducting an investigation into the claims."

"At this time we do not have additional information to provide on this issue," he added.

"It is important to note that throughout every election cycle, the US Postal Service works with state and local election officials to ensure the timely delivery of Election Mail. The United States Mail system serves as a secure, efficient and effective means for citizens and campaigns to participate in the electoral process, and the Postal Service is committed to delivering Election Mail in a timely manner."

On Wednesday the Milwaukee Election Commission called for an investigation into missing ballots. Executive Director Neil Albrecht said they wanted the investigation to center on ballots requested and mailed but that never reached voters, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

However, Reid Magney, spokesperson for state officials, the Wisconsin Election Commission, told CNN that they don't "know a whole lot about" the investigation and "are in the process of gathering information."

gerl2 et al -- "Voting by mail will it work or not?"

-- About 22 states have an option to vote by mail, some only for early voting or require an excuse.

-- Washington, Oregon, and Colorado vote only by mail - apparently it works for them.

-- On the other hand, could the USPS handle states with BIG population numbers is an interesting question.

Can the post office handle election ballots? Sure. It's done it forever. There may be very small isolated cases of mismanagement but these can be investigated. If the pandemic continues, especially in localized areas, vote by mail should be an option. How can we tell people to stay home, isolate, and don't gather WHILE telling them to make sure you go out, gather, and vote at your poll center.

With the TDS pandemic going on.... could deranged TDS postal workers be trusted to properly deliver election mail to and from the homes loudly and proudly flying TRUMP flags on their front lawns??? :unsure:

rhunnicutt -- "We can handle election mail! Check out my 45k on ballot delivery day in Oregon! "

-- Congratulations! - you are one of the 3 states that does all voting by mail.

-- BTW - nice racks for hold mail. Did the USPS supply them? Or more likely you did.

We vote by mail in my state. Postage is even prepaid to encourage more participants. When the ballots are mail, the ballots are normally staggered throughout 2 or 3 days to avoid 18 trays. Works fine at our PO and I like it personally because it’s easier to vote.

the issue with voting by mail set forth by those who oppose it isn't core to the PO handling the volume. It's that the senders/voters can't be verified vs someone who enters a polling place and gets checked off a list of registered voters after identifying themselves. A recent lawsuit uncovered millions of votes cast (in Los Angeles) that were from persons not qualified to vote. The process to verify is time consuming and cumbersome after the fact. The unqualified ballots in LA were counted as valid in the past election until the litigation dug into the voters and found huge numbers of unqualified persons who'd voted. The fact that some states already use mail ballots only doesn't prove or disprove the issue that there's no way to verify who's sending the ballots in. I'm not taking a position on the issue, just factually stating the position of those who primarily oppose mail only balloting.

the issue with voting by mail set forth by those who oppose it isn't core to the PO handling the volume. It's that the senders/voters can't be verified vs someone who enters a polling place and gets checked off a list of registered voters after identifying themselves. A recent lawsuit uncovered millions of votes cast (in Los Angeles) that were from persons not qualified to vote. The process to verify is time consuming and cumbersome after the fact. The unqualified ballots in LA were counted as valid in the past election until the litigation dug into the voters and found huge numbers of unqualified persons who'd voted. The fact that some states already use mail ballots only doesn't prove or disprove the issue that there's no way to verify who's sending the ballots in. I'm not taking a position on the issue, just factually stating the position of those who primarily oppose mail only balloting.

Would you please cite your source for the claim that millions of votes were cast in Los Angeles by unqualified voters. Thanks.

Would you please cite your source for the claim that millions of votes were cast in Los Angeles by unqualified voters. Thanks.
Judicial Watch lawsuit won in Los Angeles County, Judge requires removal of 1.5 million persons from voting rolls. Process already underway, Registrar of Voters in County estimates it will take about 18 months to complete.

It's been widely reported, a simple google search found numerous links. Here's the first link with the information:

I don't know if this article is favorable or unfavorable to the lawsuit, I just pulled the first one in the google search. I report the facts, each of you can take your own position on the issue. I neither favor nor oppose voting by mail. Whatever process we use, however, I'd support integrity in the process so neither side or party can illegally take advantage. If some are offended, I can make my next post in this thread recanting the side that favors voting by mail and their reasons to support it. If I have an opinion on something, I'll state to start "in my opinion" as I have on many other posts here.

rhunnicutt -- "We can handle election mail! Check out my 45k on ballot delivery day in Oregon! "

-- Congratulations! - you are one of the 3 states that does all voting by mail.

-- BTW - nice racks for hold mail. Did the USPS supply them? Or more likely you did.

I have seen those racks before in several PO around me, they are re purposed USPS equipment and they fit very nicely underneath your case. I have been trying to get some of them but it seems nobody knows what they are called. Does anybody out there know what they are called?

I don't know if this article is favorable or unfavorable to the lawsuit, I just pulled the first one in the google search. I report the facts, each of you can take your own position on the issue. I neither favor nor oppose voting by mail. Whatever process we use, however, I'd support integrity in the process so neither side or party can illegally take advantage. If some are offended, I can make my next post in this thread recanting the side that favors voting by mail and their reasons to support it. If I have an opinion on something, I'll state to start "in my opinion" as I have on many other posts here.

I appreciate your response. I did a Google search and read the article as well as the article from PolitiFact before asking for your source. I wanted to see if you would critically reconsider your statement that "millions of votes cast (in Los Angeles)" were cast by persons unqualified to vote.

One of the most effective tools used to determine whether a voter remains eligible is the USPS. I believe the reason many of the voters were found ineligible is because mail was being returned to the election office.

This might sound anti-PO, but what about Electronic Voting?

Guess the Russians and Chinese would be holding all our offices?

Seriously, how is it we can run our entire lives, bank accounts, investment accounts, RX, etc via the internet, but we still have to walk in somewhere to vote, or have a notarized absentee ballot? Seems kinda Stonehenge.

Judicial Watch lawsuit won in Los Angeles County, Judge requires removal of 1.5 million persons from voting rolls. Process already underway, Registrar of Voters in County estimates it will take about 18 months to complete.

It's been widely reported, a simple google search found numerous links. Here's the first link with the information:

That article does not claim that millions of votes were cast by ineligible voters. It states that 1.5 million inactive/ineligible voters were still on the rolls. Nothing about whether any of those registrants deemed ineligible actually voted or not.

in this day and age, a paper ballot would be much harder to tamper with, in numbers, than electronic voting. didn't all 50 states have evidence of attempts to tamper, in the last election? someone that knows the system, can probably rig it so whomever they want to win, can automatically receive 1 or 2% more than their competitor. not enough to look like their was fraud by a large number, but enough to win.

I think the post office can handle the mail in vote volume.
But I hope it never happens. I could see a person that lives in a house where they don’t agree on politics and one person gets all the letters and fills it out for everyone without anybody knowing . That’s just one single instance. Maybe an elderly parent that believes one way and has voted all their life and then their caretaker thinks they know better, so they fill it out the way they want it.

At least if you go to the polls there are several people there from each party trying to keep it honest.

Back