• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

CV-19 & Masks

Ok here's a question for you. How many people here wear a mask while delivering their route each day?
Everyone in my district. I've worn gloves for years. Due to being a long-term health professional I know what drugs are in the mail, I know the diseases out there, I know that 1 in 4 people have a transmittable disease. And as we all know Now, nobody washes their body parts long enough or well enough. Mom was right- people have cooties according to most doctors.

I don't wear a mask delivering my route as I rarely see anyone in person, nobody gets close, and in the rare time they attempt I ask them for social distance please, and nobody objects. If I had a route with contact I'd wear one. From reading extensively, it's clear that science doesn't always agree on everything, but there are few negatives to face coverings. It really helps keeping from touching one's face, which is one sure way to transmit disease. I wear gloves. Don't touch face. I'm not as concerned for letters but we have no idea what's inside packages or where they're from. I see no reason not to err on the side of caution, even if exact science isn't clear yet.

I would never trample on anyone's rights; but our employer can demand (yes demand) we abide by rules. The Postal Service has more rules than anyplace I've ever worked, you take the Man's money you follow the Man's rules.

Science seems to tell us this Virus is deadlier and more transmittable than most. I am taking this Virus very serious, wearing a mask when out in public out of respect for others not because someone has demanded I do so. When I do deliver to a invalids/someone with cancer/ older persons' home out on the mail route I hand sanitize before I touch their mail. Many people have ask me how safe the mail is, as far as the virus, I tell them if you are worried about it please wipe the mail down with a disinfectant or use gloves . Everyone has their own comfort level with this virus and I try to respect this. Please be safe you all.

We have masks in our offices. Enough for each carrier to obtain a fresh mask daily. Gloves. Sanitizer for hands and vehicles. Custodial help to wipe down cases am and pm with disinfectant. Our state requires masks in our office situation and when out in public. We typically remove them when delivering LLV if we're not on a business or walk in route.
thats why we don't have any.. they did give us one cloth about a month ago.. they gave a gallon of hand sanitizer though

The only people I come in contact with typically are those I work with. We are fortunate to have fresh masks daily at work, so since everyone is cooperative about masks at work, we have no issues. We do try to social distance at work, it doesn't always happen, but we do try to keep away from each other. Everyone is polite about it. We understand. I don't see it as infringing on my rights, my employer has the authority to act.
thats why we don't have any.. they did give us one cloth about a month ago.. they gave a gallon of hand sanitizer though
Good question. Our offices have had PPE from the start. We just received another 4 gallons of sanitizer on Friday. We've never run out of it. We did have a gap in masks for about five days, when the PM handed out the emergency cloth masks from district, package of 5 each, reusable, but then the surgicals came in and no gaps since then, Plenty of surface sanitizer, which we use for cases and vehicles. Seems they at least care about this issue anyway. Several other offices I've contacted have varying levels of PPE, so I'm guessing it's who's doing the procurement for your office or central office supply management, or perhaps our sources are better stocked, who knows. Perhaps they just don't want to spend the budget money. Pick one!!

We all like facts, so here are some about the wearing of masks as a preventative of the Carona virus.
Look up OSHA's suggestions for Respirators vs surgical masks.
I will summarize, if you are trying to avoid large (NOT SMALL) sprays or droplets any face covering will do, but may not be helpful to your health. Except for the N-95 masks all others limit your intake of oxygen due to not allowing for a direct exhaling port. That port also means that mask doesn't protect anyone else from possible infected droplets.
Surgical masks are intended to protect patients from health workers, and the wearer from large sprays/droplets. After 1/2 hour of use it is recommended they be changed, due to breath moisture limiting Co2 from exiting it. If many wearers of surgical or cloth masks, worn tightly, had and oxygen sensor on their finger while wearing them for 1/2 hour or longer, it would sound a "low level" alarm.
Wearing masks or not should not be a politically directed event, nor a government controlled event . The decision should rest with the wearer to decide what is BEST for their health and act appropriately.
I like oxygen, it is good for me, I don't wear a mask, and can't afford the $10 N-95 ones on a continued basis, they should be changed daily to avoid bacterial infection .

I free face in the office and on the route. Another story doing my shopping with purchases and gestation policy. Less than 30 active cases in my county. Ultra Rural except for a few big towns of less than 6000 in population. Nobody in hospital.

Supply chain still hit and miss for food. Big supply issue here is common regular or pressure treated dimensional lumber for construction. Plenty to be had if you want to buy from the Amish or Mennonites and have the equipment to mill it down.

Local college(s) rumor from an employee. All dorm rooms will be a single. Those not on campus will do the on line thing for the semester and then switch places for following semester. Frat and Sorority houses 1/2 capacity limit. Same flip flop policy.

I free face in the office and on the route. Another story doing my shopping with purchases and gestation policy. Less than 30 active cases in my county. Ultra Rural except for a few big towns of less than 6000 in population. Nobody in hospital.

Supply chain still hit and miss for food. Big supply issue here is common regular or pressure treated dimensional lumber for construction. Plenty to be had if you want to buy from the Amish or Mennonites and have the equipment to mill it down.

Local college(s) rumor from an employee. All dorm rooms will be a single. Those not on campus will do the on line thing for the semester and then switch places for following semester. Frat and Sorority houses 1/2 capacity limit. Same flip flop policy.
Big towns of 6000?. I miss those days. My little work city is small for our area at ~90,000.

I do find it somewhat uncomfortable.... it causes you to re-breathe the carbon dioxide that you are exhaling, which isn't really all that great.... so, there are some drawbacks.... :unsure:

If you are using the mask that many of us were given to us by the PO, I can understand because those suck. I have high quality masks so for me its obviously not a big deal. I agree, wearing a mask is not the most comfortable thing.

I keep a mask at my case, and use it if I need to be within 6 feet of others.... but I normally try to keep my distance from others... ?

We are a very small PO, and there is one person I dont exactly trust as to what he/she does out of the PO, I try to stay away from everybody and I am not normally paranoid about things in general, but, the effects of this virus is obvously not like the flu.

Yes, I find others are more likely to approach me, than I am to them, which can be a problem.... ? :(

I really don't look for this to end before the end of the year, if even then.... :unsure:

I dont see this truly ending until a vaccine is found, I do not agree with some who say by the end of the year, that is based on how long it has taken for other vaccines to be produced.

I have never had a flu shot, but, I will get this vaccine.

Back