• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Declaring RRECS DEAD

RFD

I have been in a study office for what seems an eternity, doing all the scans and carrying that miserable three pound scanner hanging off my wrist to every door. As of a couple days ago, NO MORE! Until I hear of definite dates of implementation I am declaring RRECS dead, and I am no longer participating. The USPS can pound sand.

I have been in a study office for what seems an eternity, doing all the scans and carrying that miserable three pound scanner hanging off my wrist to every door. As of a couple days ago, NO MORE! Until I hear of definite dates of implementation I am declaring RRECS dead, and I am no longer participating. The USPS can pound sand.
Did the machine recognize your sacrifices or was it par for the course? Thankyou for your time. It would be a dark bumpy road with no end in my mind if I was a knowing participant.

Just remember they say data is being collected, whatever you don't do now will effect what you don't get paid for in the future! We are already getting screwed for the decrease in mail volume (except for packages) due to COVID 19. My daily DPS and Flats are down by at least 30 % if not more. If data is being collected that's one heck of a hit to normal volume numbers.

I have no idea what your situation is or what the NRLCA negotiated.

You may be morally correct in your decision. However, your action may bring a response you would prefer to avoid.

It would be nice to hear something from the NRLCA! With no state conventions and no national convention it makes it easier than ever for them to avoid the members. Getting close to 5.5 years past the mandated implementation date.

If there was a BRAVO emoji I would select!!!

Just remember they say data is being collected, whatever you don't do now will effect what you don't get paid for in the future! We are already getting screwed for the decrease in mail volume (except for packages) due to COVID 19. My daily DPS and Flats are down by at least 30 % if not more. If data is being collected that's one heck of a hit to normal volume numbers.
I totally agree with this, but when you have RCA or any other carrier for that matter, that doesn’t do job, it’s going to affect pay also.

I totally agree with this, but when you have RCA or any other carrier for that matter, that doesn’t do job, it’s going to affect pay also.

All you can do is try to convince all involved of the right thing to do, you can't force them, those that are not doing what's right will only hurt those involved in that route. I have given up on most of the others in my office, due to this dragging out so long it's hard to keep them focused, it's their pay its effecting. As for my route I've pounded it into my RCA so much that I think my route will be OK!

This brings to mind an argument that I had with a postmaster when I was an RCA. We got into it when we were having a count one year, I was working harder and was more informed than the Regular Carriers in trying to get all I could for the three routes I worked on at the time. I would battle tooth and nail for everything throughout the process. So one day the PM got really heated and said to me "Why are you battling so much for these few minutes here and there, the Regular Carriers are accepting things the way they are?" My response was "Because it my paycheck too, it actually affect my income more adversely because if the evaluation drops to much I have more to lose." Well needless to say of the two K routes and one J route that I had before the count only one remained a K the other two dropped one to a J and the other to an H. I went from working 3 days one week and 2 the second to a 2 and 1 situation. You should have heard all the bitching from those Regular Carriers of how the system sucked and their evaluation should be higher, I just looked at them and laughed! By the way I transferred out of there a short time after.

So the moral of the story is anybody involved in running a route needs to take ownership of that route and do what's right, it's not a race to see how quick you can half azz a route. If you don't follow all the guidelines, procedures and things like scanning & line of travel it will all come back to bite you in the azz.

Last edited:
All you can do is try to convince all involved of the right thing to do, you can't force them, those that are not doing what's right will only hurt those involved in that route. I have given up on most of the others in my office, due to this dragging out so long it's hard to keep them focused, it's their pay its effecting. As for my route I've pounded into my RCA so much that I think my route will be OK!

This brings to mind an argument that I had with a postmaster when I was an RCA. We got into it when we were having a count one year, I was working harder and was more informed than the Regular Carriers in trying to get all I could for the three routes I worked on at the time. I would battle tooth and nail for everything throughout the process. So one day the PM got really heated and said to me "Why are you battling so much for these few minutes here and there, the Regular Carriers are accepting things the way they are?" My response was "Because it my paycheck too, it actually affect my income more adversely because if the evaluation drops to much I have more to lose." Well needless to say of the two K routes and one J route that I had before the count only one remained a K the other two dropped one to a J and the other to an H. I went from working 3 days on week and 2 the second to a 2 and 1 situation. You should have heard all the bitching from those Regular Carriers of how the system sucked and their evaluation should be higher, I just looked at them and laughed! By the way I transferred out of there a short time after.

So the moral of the story is anybody involved in running a route needs to take ownership of that route and do what's right, it's not a race to see how quick you can half azz a route. If you don't follow all the guidelines, procedures and things like scanning & line of travel it will all come back to bite you in the azz.
Amen!!! Can only do so much.

Yes it will affect our pay if you don't do all you are supposed to do on your route. I however, am leaning closer to those that don't/won't take that extra time.
Here's my suggestion to those of you that don't carry the scanner everywhere, you scan before the box, you do what ever other slacker idea you come up with. So you don't hurt the route and the other carrier (s) associated with it, scan extra bar codes.
What extras you say? Many parcels, almost all, have extra bar codes that can be scanned (international, COD, or something like "error", is the question asked by your scanner). Arrow up to international, click it, and enter through. You now have just delivered an additional parcel for that data collection that may or may not be taking place. Some parcels have had up to 4-5 scans/parcel and I'm getting credit for all of them. Is this leaning towards being crooked? May be, but I think 5 years of no implemented RRECS IS crooked and I'm just straightening up the line.

Last edited:
100%!!!

@Dumbassclerksyndrome and @Voglio-il mio -

I have tried with my sub. She doesn't care.

So, I have made up my mind that when and if this gets implemented and my route drops because of her, I will gladly work Saturdays and throw the extra into my retirement. I will also stop taking off unless absolutely necessary.

Wish that the union would fight for regulars to get paid our time and subs theirs. Maybe then the ones cutting corners would do the job properly.

Back