• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Limit on number of hours RCA can work in pay period?

Had I stayed an RCA: I could have paid into the Rural health insurance, maxed out my own Roth IRA, and still make $20k+ more than im making now.

I understand your desire to work. Many RCAs make well north of $100k on 7 days a week.
100K ! - not likely. 52 weeks by an average of say 60 hours is 3,120 hours per year. Rounded up to $19 per hour gets a bit over $59,000. The 'old' time RCA's on table one might reach $75K. That is IF a person will work and get hours the entire year seven days a week flat out.

100K ! - not likely. 52 weeks by an average of say 60 hours is 3,120 hours per year. Rounded up to $19 per hour gets a bit over $59,000. The 'old' time RCA's on table one might reach $75K. That is IF a person will work and get hours the entire year seven days a week flat out.

OT past 40, plus EMA. 80k in wages, 25k in ema.

Old timer rca? Hired before 2012 is old timer? :(

Some RCAs out there are working 12hr days 7 days a week. Thats over 70k in OT alone.

Full time rca right outta high school wouldn't be a bad gig.

I don't know what table I am on. I started in February of last year. I have made a couple of $3200 checks. This was during Christmas, and I was working about 80 hours per week. It was pretty horrible. Best money I ever made, but I felt like I was gonna die.
I just remembered a couple of days when I worked from 4:00 am to almost 9:00 pm. AND I had to sneak in some food and a couple 5 minute breaks. I don't recall being offered a break. lol!
0i was hired in 2011 as an rca. Made over f$20/hr plus ot after 40 hrs. Big money til I went regular 2 years ago. Tier 2. Should have stayed rca

Deer smearer, I think you need to see that both DACA codes offer a regular on the RDWL two ways to earn the same thing: their regular day of pay PLUS an extra 50%. So with DACA 3 you would be working the day and getting 50% of your regular day's pay along with a paid X day off scheduled down the road. DACA 5 gives you the same thing in a different way....it gives you the 150% pay for working that day with no other days off. Both codes provide the carrier the ability to collect a 50% premium over what just working a day that they would have gotten off. (50%+100%=150%) I hope that helps you understand that it is just a way of offering you the premium with or without the day you should have had off. Just options...

Deer smearer, I think you need to see that both DACA codes offer a regular on the RDWL two ways to earn the same thing: their regular day of pay PLUS an extra 50%. So with DACA 3 you would be working the day and getting 50% of your regular day's pay along with a paid X day off scheduled down the road. DACA 5 gives you the same thing in a different way....it gives you the 150% pay for working that day with no other days off. Both codes provide the carrier the ability to collect a 50% premium over what just working a day that they would have gotten off. (50%+100%=150%) I hope that helps you understand that it is just a way of offering you the premium with or without the day you should have had off. Just options...

I think Deer Smearer understands the options quite well lol

For RCAs working Sundays, Sunday scheduling comes AFTER the weekly schedule is made. Mgmt cannot choose to not schedule an RCA due to their likelihood of working Sunday or due to Sunday hours will make it to 40. If an RCA is being removed from their Matrix routes, they should be filing; especially if it’s their Primary & they haven’t worked the Evaluated hours on THAT route that week.

Gotstamps, This exact situation occurred to me last fall while I was holding down my primary route for four months. After running 7 days a week for 29days straight they caught on and said no more and took me off of Sundays. I said bummer but ok. A few weeks later I was told that I would have to return to working Amazon Sundays and scheduled to take one day off of from my holdown route. I was a little peeved....naw, I mean I was flipping pi$$ed!!!! over this primarily because I lost hours every week. (A day of regular work on my route versus a half day on Sunday.) I was told something to the effect that it was the only way the PM could force the senior RCA to work Sundays, no mention about my hours was ever mentioned. I don't even remember what my regular hours were during that time but I could find them out if needed.

It never even dawned on me that I should have followed up with the union. I only had 9 months as an RCA at that point and still learning the basic ropes.

Is there any recourse I might have at this point? Specifically regarding the lost hours. Or anything else I'm not thinking about?

Would being on the Sunday Volunteer list have any affect on the situation?

I absolutely love the work and take every possable hour I can get from anywhere I can get it.
I am also in an office that truelly rocks! Every single person including supervisor and PM get along great! (With the exception of one horrible carrier that was just fired for a second time and I'm praying it sticks this time because that opens up a spot to make regular for me.) Anyways I have found in several situations like this that they are not well informend.

The first time my Supervisor told me that I couldn't work seven straight days I was on my 24th straight day. Just sayin'...
Joe, I had the exact same thing happen after 29 days! Lol I was on a four month hold-down and worked every Sunday. Boy those sure we're nice paychecks. :)

Gotstamps, This exact situation occurred to me last fall while I was holding down my primary route for four months. After running 7 days a week for 29days straight they caught on and said no more and took me off of Sundays. I said bummer but ok. A few weeks later I was told that I would have to return to working Amazon Sundays and scheduled to take one day off of from my holdown route. I was a little peeved....naw, I mean I was flipping pi$$ed!!!! over this primarily because I lost hours every week. (A day of regular work on my route versus a half day on Sunday.) I was told something to the effect that it was the only way the PM could force the senior RCA to work Sundays, no mention about my hours was ever mentioned. I don't even remember what my regular hours were during that time but I could find them out if needed.

It never even dawned on me that I should have followed up with the union. I only had 9 months as an RCA at that point and still learning the basic ropes.

Is there any recourse I might have at this point? Specifically regarding the lost hours. Or anything else I'm not thinking about?

Would being on the Sunday Volunteer list have any affect on the situation?

I absolutely love the work and take every possable hour I can get from anywhere I can get it.
I am also in an office that truelly rocks! Every single person including supervisor and PM get along great! (With the exception of one horrible carrier that was just fired for a second time and I'm praying it sticks this time because that opens up a spot to make regular for me.) Anyways I have found in several situations like this that they are not well informend.

Joe, I had the exact same thing happen after 29 days! Lol I was on a four month hold-down and worked every Sunday. Boy those sure we're nice paychecks. :)

Yeh! If there is such a rule, which I don't think there is it will only apply when it benefits them!

For RCAs working Sundays, Sunday scheduling comes AFTER the weekly schedule is made. Mgmt cannot choose to not schedule an RCA due to their likelihood of working Sunday or due to Sunday hours will make it to 40. If an RCA is being removed from their Matrix routes, they should be filing; especially if it’s their Primary & they haven’t worked the Evaluated hours on THAT route that week.

Do you have anything written stating this? This problem is occurring in my P.O. and we're trying to combat it.

Had I stayed an RCA: I could have paid into the Rural health insurance, maxed out my own Roth IRA, and still make $20k+ more than im making now.

I understand your desire to work. Many RCAs make well north of $100k on 7 days a week.
Uhhh what? I make 18.65/hr and work 7 days. 100k a year would be great. I guess I’m too fast lol.

Do you have anything written stating this? This problem is occurring in my P.O. and we're trying to combat it.

The S-106 on the Union Website has the rules. On the 2nd page, it states “management may bypass leave replacements for Sunday/holiday parcel delivery if such assigned work hours would result in the leave replacement exceeding 40 hours at the end of the work week.”
If RCAs are being removed from their weekly schedule due to scheduling on Sunday, they should be filing a grievance.

Ok I see what the problem is , technically when you work a code 3 you don't receive an "x" day, you receive a day off and 50% pay. It is often called an "X" day but really is not. If any of you are taking a code 3 and getting 50% pay and a day off later with pay , don't say anything, keep your head down and enjoy that extra pay you shouldn't be getting.

On your pay stub as well as the Lite Blue My Pay when you view the results of being keyed in for a code 3 an availability of an X day shows.

The S-106 on the Union Website has the rules. On the 2nd page, it states “management may bypass leave replacements for Sunday/holiday parcel delivery if such assigned work hours would result in the leave replacement exceeding 40 hours at the end of the work week.”
If RCAs are being removed from their weekly schedule due to scheduling on Sunday, they should be filing a grievance.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately my Union Reps aren't very helpful, so finding this information can be very difficult for someone without help

New member here, but I run into this issue a lot, so here's my take...

We have a district rule against working over 6 days. Anything over that, management has to explain to them why you had to work 7 days. I work in other offices as well, and the amount of days still shows up, so they will know. Although that doesn't seem like "our problem", if I go over 6, they will unschedule me on the next possible day that they can, so they can stop being harassed by their bosses. They will call in a regular before they let me work 7 days. Don't push them. My advice would be to stay at 6, and if you can find work mon-sat, use the rule to make them give you sunday off. This will maximize your paycheck.

District rule or not, a leave replacement has the right to work before a Regular Carrier does on the Regulars Relief Day. Any sub being forced off due to “6-Day” rule should be filing a grievance.

In the Capital district (I was in Maryland) management had a policy of not letting RCAs get anywhere near 40 hours. Sometimes they said 30 was the max and sometimes 35. And the things they did to the RCAs hours was actually criminal. Not letting RCAs use green cards, and making them write their assistance hours on someone's trip sheet made it easy for them to falsify hours. Management would string out their hours over multiple pay periods to stay under the total hours the district allowed, and that was only if the carrier pressed them. That went on for a couple of years before I retired and may still be going on. We lost good RCAs because of it. Capital district management is top tier corrupt.

Retaliation is the postal way. It helps to accept it, so that you can be comfortable fighting and confronting it.

Ive tried to give warning shots. In your case: id like the JOINT contract to be followed. Subs before regulars, and give me a call 1st. Most likely I got something planned that day. But I want the courtesy of being given my rights. We cool with that? If so, you'll get no trouble from me.

Back