Mail Count 2019

Lady Carrier

A way to reduce your customer complaints about junk mail is give each of them form PS 3982-R. They can list each of the box holders they do not want to receive and their mail carrier will happily comply with their wishes by not delivering the offending box holders. A bit of a nuisance for the carrier but many happy customers. I never told my customers about that form.
The customer must notify the mailer, not the carrier.
A customer who does not wish to receive a certain boxholder mailpiece must contact the mailer in order to request non-delivery. The mailer will then submit the customer request electronically to the Postal Service via My Post Office. The RBNR is being added to the main menu of My Post Office and the manager will check daily to see if there are any requests. Handbooks
Postal Bulletin
January 31, 2008
Also check the PO-603; 322.23 PO 603 – Rural Carrier Duties | Ruralinfo.net Knowledgebase

The customer must notify the mailer, not the carrier.
A customer who does not wish to receive a certain boxholder mailpiece must contact the mailer in order to request non-delivery. The mailer will then submit the customer request electronically to the Postal Service via My Post Office. The RBNR is being added to the main menu of My Post Office and the manager will check daily to see if there are any requests. Handbooks
Postal Bulletin
January 31, 2008
Also check the PO-603; 322.23 PO 603 – Rural Carrier Duties | Ruralinfo.net Knowledgebase
Thanks for the clarification. A route I was unfamiliar with had the form PS 3982-R for a couple customers. I was told they had requested certain box holders not be delivered. I wrongly assumed they had informed the local PO and we used this form so we knew which box holders not to deliver. The average customer probably is unaware it is possible to stop the delivery of some box holders and if informed by the carrier of the proper procedure the end result would be the same; no box holder to some addresses. I know many customers have asked me if it is possible for us not to deliver the junk mail; my response was, " I do not decide who gets the ad, I just deliver it". If I was not retired they would now get a different answer.

The procedures to stop receiving a box holder and the one to stop dues withholding both seemed to be designed to discourage the use of such procedures.

Hayqueen

Ok, I just found out yesterday from our office. there is going to be a "RSD" count. Rural Study Data Base. since we have been under the advanced study for several years, we have to do a route inspection, to map out every inch, stop signs, turns, left turns etc, as my sub carries my route, I am on the computer mapping my route. We did this several years ago but without a lot of accurate information since it was so new to us. we had to draw our routes and highlight the line of travel on a google map. then later ass the gps tracked us we had to input the info in the computer. That was a nightmare, since the RCA that they tracked carried my route " was out that day" but did not follow the 4003. "lots of short cuts" and we had no way of knowing what day etc they decided to track. and once it was on the gps there was no way to correct it on the computer. So that being said, now here we go again, this will be the final mapping of our routes. This has to be done before "our" count in April. All offices that are in the Rural carrier study will be doing the same thing. It won't be a mandatory count nation wide, but it will be just for the offices that they chose several years a go for the Study. So we are the lucky ones "LOL" to work out all of the kinks, where in a couple of years all offices will be evaluated etc according to the Study. The scanner will tell it all,ie: clock in, clock out, load vehicle, depart to route, return from route, etc, breaks, how long you are at a mailbox, stamps sales, a hrs, in office and on route. This will eventually do away with our 4240's but we will still have them as a back up. We have to have our scanners on our body every time we get out of the vehicle. it can actually see us from satellite walking to the door etc, where we left the pkg etc. We have been doing this for about 3 years, they dropped it on us just before mail count, I believe around Jan of 2016. Wish us luck, I think we are gonna need it !
I can't wait to hear from you how it goes...keep us informed!!👍

Ok, I just found out yesterday from our office. there is going to be a "RSD" count. Rural Study Data Base. since we have been under the advanced study for several years, we have to do a route inspection, to map out every inch, stop signs, turns, left turns etc, as my sub carries my route, I am on the computer mapping my route. We did this several years ago but without a lot of accurate information since it was so new to us. we had to draw our routes and highlight the line of travel on a google map. then later ass the gps tracked us we had to input the info in the computer. That was a nightmare, since the RCA that they tracked carried my route " was out that day" but did not follow the 4003. "lots of short cuts" and we had no way of knowing what day etc they decided to track. and once it was on the gps there was no way to correct it on the computer. So that being said, now here we go again, this will be the final mapping of our routes. This has to be done before "our" count in April. All offices that are in the Rural carrier study will be doing the same thing. It won't be a mandatory count nation wide, but it will be just for the offices that they chose several years a go for the Study. So we are the lucky ones "LOL" to work out all of the kinks, where in a couple of years all offices will be evaluated etc according to the Study. The scanner will tell it all,ie: clock in, clock out, load vehicle, depart to route, return from route, etc, breaks, how long you are at a mailbox, stamps sales, a hrs, in office and on route. This will eventually do away with our 4240's but we will still have them as a back up. We have to have our scanners on our body every time we get out of the vehicle. it can actually see us from satellite walking to the door etc, where we left the pkg etc. We have been doing this for about 3 years, they dropped it on us just before mail count, I believe around Jan of 2016. Wish us luck, I think we are gonna need it !
How exactly do you keep your "scanners on our body" all the time? I still haven't figured that out. No one in our office has either. Only one that I know of uses the scanner holder but it really doesn't work practically since it's so big. Do you actually wear this and have your scanner in it climbing in and out of vehicle etc....?

RDruckus

It's not as heavy or as big as a Colt Anaconda. Wear the scanner after I fill in 2nd time on 4240, left side. If I sit on it getting back in the LLV, I know I need to tighten the belt. (I use a second large, leather belt for the scanner holster. Just put it on over my other belt, angled, so I can put me keys in my pocket.

Voglio-il mio

How exactly do you keep your "scanners on our body" all the time? I still haven't figured that out. No one in our office has either. Only one that I know of uses the scanner holder but it really doesn't work practically since it's so big. Do you actually wear this and have your scanner in it climbing in and out of vehicle etc....?
As I have said on an other thread, I got into the habit of driving with the scanner on my lap when I was an RCA due to each LLV being set up a little different. This gave me a consistent go to place for my scanner. I never changed that habit and still do this today. So when I stop to deliver a package to the door I have to pick the scanner up off my lap when I exit the vehicle. I carry it & don't use the holder!

gerl2

It's not as heavy or as big as a Colt Anaconda. Wear the scanner after I fill in 2nd time on 4240, left side. If I sit on it getting back in the LLV, I know I need to tighten the belt. (I use a second large, leather belt for the scanner holster. Just put it on over my other belt, angled, so I can put me keys in my pocket.
I use the strap on the scanner, slip it on my wrist. needed to secure it not sure how many drops it can withstand.

Hayqueen

That's what the city carriers do.However, we don't have a uniform obligation to wear pants that have belt loops...look for THIS to be changed in the new contract imo.

RDruckus

That's what the city carriers do.However, we don't have a uniform obligation to wear pants that have belt loops...look for THIS to be changed in the new contract imo.

I use a second belt, made of leather I got in the men's section of the store. ( No belt loops needed.) Anything that can hold up a honking big handgun will be fine for the scammer holster. Some posters strap the bottom of the holster to their thigh with a dog collar or a piece of Velcro.

Then it's one less thing to worry about during Mail Count 2019. ;)

eomr

On a side note, this is how and where I keep it in the truck...next to my right hand and secured.View attachment 243
I would ask the guy responsible for maintaining the trucks for some cleaning supplies so I could stay on top of things. He would look at me like I was speaking French. I kept some stuff at my case and would wipe the truck (and the case) down every now and then. Anal? Maybe, but I had to look at that stuff every day.

Shafted

The clip of the scanner holster can be wedged in the dash of the LLV.. It’s a thin covering so it can be pried a little farther away from the truck. The best location that works is if you pull the tray closest to the seat and about an inch from that area there’s a spot on the flat dash where that panel is looser (not near an attachment screw). Word of caution, if your truck goes to the VMF, you will never see it again. Take it out, and put it in your case drawer. If you don’t want your heavy rubber mat from the cargo area to go MIA, duct tape a giant note on it that says it better return with the truck. If you are in the snow belt that 75-80 lb mat helps with weight in the bad weather. These two items get snatched routinely after service.

FrozenToes

The best location that works is if you pull the tray closest to the seat and about an inch from that area there’s a spot on the flat dash where that panel is looser (not near an attachment screw).
Used to use that as well. Then VMF took all of those panels out of our LLVs. :(

gerl2

You would think that would be considered health and safety hazard. After all, they clean the stations on a daily basis.

eomr

I worked in a large office. We had ventilation shafts running up near the ceiling. They were caked in dust. We would wonder what we were breathing in. Every now and then maintenance would clean our cases and make a big deal about how much work it was. I kept wipes at my case to make it and my truck somewhat presentable.
Another hoot was maintenance would complain when we brought snow in on our equipment and it messed up the floor. It drug these guys away from their coffee and doughnuts.