• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Mail Count 2019

If you’re talking about Spring then no. No contract, no count.
September is the only time the PO can call for a count until the RRECS System is ready to go. That’s not happening until ALL of the routes nationwide are “mapped” in the system & that hasn’t happened either.

If you’re talking about Spring then no. No contract, no count.
September is the only time the PO can call for a count until the RRECS System is ready to go. That’s not happening until ALL of the routes nationwide are “mapped” in the system & that hasn’t happened either.
thank you

Gawd, I want one so bad on the route I bid on and got, gonna be a great route, but the MVF is so way off!!!
oh well, at least I am on a all CBU route?

Ok, we were told there is going to be a April 2019 Mail Count. It will probably be the last one we will have. It is designed around our engineering study on our scanners. we have been under the study for several years now. we are required to have a route inspection, while either the regular carrier delivers the mail while some one is in the office tied into the GPS and maps our routes. Does anyone have any information on this ? Or where it has been agreed upon by the USPS and the NRLCA

R-M-L -- " we were told there is going to be a April 2019 Mail Count. It will probably be the last one we will have. "

-- Interesting!

-- Who told you? Any "hard copy" document?

-- For the count to happen, there would have to be a contract in place, since the 2105-2018 contract did not provide for a 2019 count. And for that to happen, contract ballots would have to be hitting the mail boxes real soon. Only problem there is that as far as we know, the two parties are negotiating. Even if they declared an impasse tomorrow, they would have to go arbitrator "shopping" and once settling on one, go through the presentations.

-- The 2010-2015 contract did have a scheduled count for 2016 ( 12 MAR - 25 MAR ) even though the contract had expired in 20 MAY 2015.

-- Could the USPS and NRLCA squeeze a count in for 2019 if there was a contract extension. Anyone??

Ok, we were told there is going to be a April 2019 Mail Count. It will probably be the last one we will have. It is designed around our engineering study on our scanners. we have been under the study for several years now. we are required to have a route inspection, while either the regular carrier delivers the mail while some one is in the office tied into the GPS and maps our routes. Does anyone have any information on this ? Or where it has been agreed upon by the USPS and the NRLCA

Are you sure it's not the next step in RRECS? Verification. Update on Rural Route Evaluated Compensation System (RRECS)

Scary that management in a study office is referring to the full-scale test of RRECS as a "count". This does not fill me with confidence that this test will be run properly in any way. If those in charge are clueless, how can the carriers be informed well enough to do these functions correctly?

The PO is testing out the RRECS system which does mean a mini-count will have to be done to get the full effect. So far, the Union says that no adjustments will happen from the results as it is just a test. Good luck!

Ok, I just found out yesterday from our office. there is going to be a "RSD" count. Rural Study Data Base. since we have been under the advanced study for several years, we have to do a route inspection, to map out every inch, stop signs, turns, left turns etc, as my sub carries my route, I am on the computer mapping my route. We did this several years ago but without a lot of accurate information since it was so new to us. we had to draw our routes and highlight the line of travel on a google map. then later ass the gps tracked us we had to input the info in the computer. That was a nightmare, since the RCA that they tracked carried my route " was out that day" but did not follow the 4003. "lots of short cuts" and we had no way of knowing what day etc they decided to track. and once it was on the gps there was no way to correct it on the computer. So that being said, now here we go again, this will be the final mapping of our routes. This has to be done before "our" count in April. All offices that are in the Rural carrier study will be doing the same thing. It won't be a mandatory count nation wide, but it will be just for the offices that they chose several years a go for the Study. So we are the lucky ones "LOL" to work out all of the kinks, where in a couple of years all offices will be evaluated etc according to the Study. The scanner will tell it all,ie: clock in, clock out, load vehicle, depart to route, return from route, etc, breaks, how long you are at a mailbox, stamps sales, a hrs, in office and on route. This will eventually do away with our 4240's but we will still have them as a back up. We have to have our scanners on our body every time we get out of the vehicle. it can actually see us from satellite walking to the door etc, where we left the pkg etc. We have been doing this for about 3 years, they dropped it on us just before mail count, I believe around Jan of 2016. Wish us luck, I think we are gonna need it !

Sorry, it is not a count ,it is a test of the new system. Your routes won't be changed because of it until the implementation of the RRECS system, which will then happen for all routes, probably next year sometime.

Well, we were told it is a count in April but only for the selected offices that have been doing the advanced study. Not the offices that use the basic study system. All routes in our office are to be inspected and re-mapped. by the end of march. Our Postmaster has been in training for several days re: the April count in selected offices. Our National Union Rep will be there at this time along with the Union rep for management. The basic Engineering Study is different from the study we are doing. Ours is a different ballgame than the basic study. I maybe wrong, but this is what I was told by management. Hopefully I am wrong, but according to UPPER Management it is in place.

Why doesn't the union say "No contract, no test." and "The engineers have completed their gathering of data for standards. Therefore, no more extra duties/scans in the RRECS study offices." JMO, the PO is stalling contract negotiations and gathering data to be used against the RRECS before it is even implemented. Of course, that would mean the union has a backbone and not just a rubber stamp.

Sorry, it is not a count ,it is a test of the new system. Your routes won't be changed because of it until the implementation of the RRECS system, which will then happen for all routes, probably next year sometime.

Or the year after.... Union believes it will take well over a year to get every route mapped

Or the year after.... Union believes it will take well over a year to get every route mapped
Agreed. It's going to take quite some time to map every route, IF the RRECS test doesn't completely blow up in their faces first. There's also no way on earth I'm allowing my paycheck to be determined by how a sub runs the route for the GPS mapping phase. That is 100% my responsibility.

I'm curious about the whole mapping "thing". How many people does it take to " map " a route? How computer literate do you have to be to map? Are there " mapping teams " that go around to various offices to do the mapping? Can it be done in house? With over 70,000 rural routes this seems, imho, to be a very time consuming task. I thought I read somewhere that to be successfully mapped you had to run the route the same way fo 2 weeks? Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm curious about the whole mapping "thing". How many people does it take to " map " a route? How computer literate do you have to be to map? Are there " mapping teams " that go around to various offices to do the mapping? Can it be done in house? With over 70,000 rural routes this seems, imho, to be a very time consuming task. I thought I read somewhere that to be successfully mapped you had to run the route the same way fo 2 weeks? Anyone care to enlighten me?
Originally, it was the carrier, the ADR (or someone chosen by the DR) and a PM (not necessarily yours). That was taking too long. So now it's going to be your PM and you. And yes on the 2 weeks.

This is going to be a nightmare, considering the general quality of PMs and the amount of carriers who have no idea what's coming their way (because they are willfully ignorant).

Originally, it was the carrier, the ADR (or someone chosen by the DR) and a PM (not necessarily yours). That was taking too long. So now it's going to be your PM and you. And yes on the 2 weeks.

This is going to be a nightmare, considering the general quality of PMs and the amount of carriers who have no idea what's coming their way (because they are willfully ignorant).
Not to mention large offices with more than 10 routes. Management will be stretched pretty thin. Same with apo, rmpo setups. I can't see this going well at all!

Back