• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Opted Route Requesting a Sub

@Twingrlie - First, I have been a regular for quite some time; this is the very first time I have ever heard a mail box referred to that way. Did a local poll - no one else has either. Must be a regional city thing.

Second, you came here asking for advice, you have given same by various people and yet, want to argue. Your original question was regarding if a sub is entitled to a sub. I won't quote you since that would be against my personal religious beliefs, but I will say good gravy. You as a steward should have already known the answer. You then stated that said sub is coming back to a mess after her relief day.(paraphrased). You as a steward should know that a sub is entitled to a full day relief, just is as a regular.

I am also quite aware of the procedures which need to be followed to remove someone from the rolls; however...

nevermind.

Best of luck to you and all in your office.

@Twingrlie - First, I have been a regular for quite some time; this is the very first time I have ever heard a mail box referred to that way. Did a local poll - no one else has either. Must be a regional city thing.

Second, you came here asking for advice, you have given same by various people and yet, want to argue. Your original question was regarding if a sub is entitled to a sub. I won't quote you since that would be against my personal religious beliefs, but I will say good gravy. You as a steward should have already known the answer. You then stated that said sub is coming back to a mess after her relief day.(paraphrased). You as a steward should know that a sub is entitled to a full day relief, just is as a regular.

I am also quite aware of the procedures which need to be followed to remove someone from the rolls; however...

nevermind.

Best of luck to you and all in your office.
I actually didn’t argue with the advice that was given to the actual question that was asked. The question was: Can a designation 74 be granted a leave replacement? When I asked my DR, he said generally no but there is an exception and he would get back to me and let me know. I posted the question here to see if I would get the same answer.
For some reason, people keep thinking I was asking if a sub is entitled to a relief day. I also know she’s entitled to relief assistance or should be paid green card time for whatever she has to cleanup.
This doesn’t really make her life easier since it’s already an overburdened route and it’s annoying when she has to clean up her route every week consistently.
I did get an answer to my original question and found that if her regular was a steward she may be entitled to a sub. Good to know.
At any rate, take it easy.

Twingrlie -- "Can an RCA that is in leave earning status and the carrier of record on the 4240, submit a letter requesting a sub?"

-- You did not specify if the RCA is Designation 77 or 79 ( AUX route ) or Designation 72 or 74 ( filling in for a regular out for an extended period )

-- For the Designations 72 and 74 - some other RCA could fill in on the route's relief day or in the case of an H route, fill in should the 74 submit a 3971.

-- For the Designation 77 or 79, there are Step 4's:

- A-120 -- in part: When circumstances in a particular post office allow, the backup work on an auxiliary route will be offered to the other relief employees in the office by seniority as explained in Article 30.2.F ( page 87 of our National Agreement ( A-120 if from 1990 )). However, when circumstances in a office are such that there is frequently and / or continually no relief carrier available to serve as backup on an auxiliary route, then the postmaster MUST be allowed to hire another relief carrier to officially serve as the backup on the auxiliary route.

- A-121 -- in part: The hiring and assignment of leave replacements as back-ups to auxiliary routes is discouraged. However, in instances such as this one, when the leave replacement assigned to an auxiliary route is unavailable, the leave replacement hired, specifically as the back-up for that auxiliary route, will be utilized.

-- As a caveat, newer national agreements may have negated A-120 and or A-121. ( anyone?? )

-- For example, Step 4 ( R-4 ) limited an AUX carrier in performing other duties. The 2015-2018 contract included: After completion of the assigned auxiliary route or primary route assignment, a leave replacement assigned to serve the auxiliary route may be utilized on any other auxiliary route, or serve as a leave replacement or provide auxiliary assistance on any regular route.

In my office, we call OPTED routes routes that have a regular carrier but they are gone for an extended time. AUX routes are just called Aux routes. She’s a designation 74.
I am aware that an Aux is allowed to complete their route first and then can complete other duties management asks of them.

Are you a Steward for the NALC or NRLCA? If its for the NRLCA then the correct terminology is Rural Carrier serving a vacant route. If you are a steward you should be using our contract when referencing information!

Use correct terminology??? Reference the contract???? Like all the others on here that do???? Lol

If she’s a local then she performs a thankless job that comes with heaps of abuse. The snark on here is why no one wants to be a steward in the first place. Give her a break.

Use correct terminology??? Reference the contract???? Like all the others on here that do???? Lol

If she’s a local then she performs a thankless job that comes with heaps of abuse. The snark on here is why no one wants to be a steward in the first place. Give her a break.
No NRLCA Union Rep should be quoting another Craft’s Contract. Some terminology has crossed over but “Opted” is definitely not one of them. This is actually the first time hearing that term & I’m nearing Step 12 in an APO/RMPO with quite a few City routes in each delivery unit.
It is confusing to throw out terms & Other Union Contract language that has nothing to do with our Craft.

Are you a Steward for the NALC or NRLCA? If its for the NRLCA then the correct terminology is Rural Carrier serving a vacant route. If you are a steward you should be using our contract when referencing information!
It makes no difference as long as people know what I’m talking about in my office. ?

No NRLCA Union Rep should be quoting another Craft’s Contract. Some terminology has crossed over but “Opted” is definitely not one of them. This is actually the first time hearing that term & I’m nearing Step 12 in an APO/RMPO with quite a few City routes in each delivery unit.
It is confusing to throw out terms & Other Union Contract language that has nothing to do with our Craft.
Listen I have carriers that have been regulars for 20 years and don’t even know how to fill out a 3971. They don’t know what 8127 time is or what their designation code is. They don’t even know what a PS Form 50 is. They write “second trip 2 hrs” and then wonder why they didn’t get paid correctly for their parcel run. They think opening 20 boxes on their route of 10 miles will add 2 hrs to their route. We use OPTED in my office because it’s shorter then saying RuRaL CaRRieR oN a VAcaNT RouTE. Give me a break.

Listen I have carriers that have been regulars for 20 years and don’t even know how to fill out a 3971. They don’t know what 8127 time is or what their designation code is. They don’t even know what a PS Form 50 is. They write “second trip 2 hrs” and then wonder why they didn’t get paid correctly for their parcel run. They think opening 20 boxes on their route of 10 miles will add 2 hrs to their route. We use OPTED in my office because it’s shorter then saying RuRaL CaRRieR oN a VAcaNT RouTE. Give me a break.

Your primary job as a steward is to resolve contract violations not to change the world! You are bordering on violation of your position if you are instigating conflict. Be careful of how you approach the education of your coworkers!

Your primary job as a steward is to resolve contract violations not to change the world! You are bordering on violation of your position if you are instigating conflict. Be careful of how you approach the education of your coworkers!
I have no idea what you’re talking about. These are things I’ve noticed since I became a steward. My primary job as a steward is to educate management and carriers on the contract and it’s stipulations so that grievances can be avoided and carriers and management can work together to get the job done. Where did you see that I’m instigating conflict?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. These are things I’ve noticed since I became a steward. My primary job as a steward is to educate management and carriers on the contract and it’s stipulations so that grievances can be avoided and carriers and management can work together to get the job done. Where did you see that I’m instigating conflict?

All is good, I understand your concerns! Read the last sentence in my post and repeat it 3 times, this is all I was saying!

Then “educate” them properly with correct language, the Rural Carrier Contracts, & Documents that pertain to our Craft.
@Voglio-il mio simply meant that in the “education“ of your coworkers, mgmt can take it as soliciting Grievances & the Carriers could see you as trying to ”boss” them around.

Then “educate” them properly with correct language, the Rural Carrier Contracts, & Documents that pertain to our Craft.
@Voglio-il mio simply meant that in the “education“ of your coworkers, mgmt can take it as soliciting Grievances & the Carriers could see you as trying to ”boss” them around.
My office has a new rural supervisor and every single grievance has been brought to me and not me looking for them. I’ve had a few instances where carriers thought they were aggrieved and they had no grievance. How do you know what I’m doing in my office on a day to day basis? The office I’m in is a disaster to the point where my District Rep has to be a part of a labor management meeting with our postmaster because this supervisor is an utter nightmare.

My office has a new rural supervisor and every single grievance has been brought to me and not me looking for them. I’ve had a few instances where carriers thought they were aggrieved and they had no grievance. How do you know what I’m doing in my office on a day to day basis? The office I’m in is a disaster to the point where my District Rep has to be a part of a labor management meeting with our postmaster because this supervisor is an utter nightmare.

My statement to educate your coworkers & mgmt properly was due to you coming on here quoting City Craft Contract & using City Craft Terminology. Using the wrong Contract or Language can get a Grievance thrown out quickly, especially at Step 2 as it doesn’t apply to our Craft.
We are trying to help you be a good Steward. Use the tools that you have been given & don’t go looking for Documentation that isn’t available to Stewards or the Craft through our app/website.

My statement to educate your coworkers & mgmt properly was due to you coming on here quoting City Craft Contract & using City Craft Terminology. Using the wrong Contract or Language can get a Grievance thrown out quickly, especially at Step 2 as it doesn’t apply to our Craft.
We are trying to help you be a good Steward. Use the tools that you have been given & don’t go looking for Documentation that isn’t available to Stewards or the Craft through our app/website.
It’s funny. In steward training, my DR says these sites provide a lot of misinformation and to “be weary”. I don’t proceed with any grievance without consulting my DR first. I talk to him almost everyday.

It’s funny. In steward training, my DR says these sites provide a lot of misinformation and to “be weary”. I don’t proceed with any grievance without consulting my DR first. I talk to him almost everyday.

I didn’t say THIS site. I was referring to your Documentation from training, your jump drive, your Contract, & the NRLCA website & app. You should give your DR a break & research the grievances on your own. I rarely speak to mine unless I have an issue that I cannot resolve on my own or am sending one up to Step 2.

Back