• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

OT RATE

Morty

Could a wizard of smart simplify the OT rate for us. Art 9.2 a.1.k

Example: if you worked 275 hours and your evaluation is 350. Your regular rate is 79%

If you worked 400 hours and your evaluation is 350. Your regular rate is 114%

How does this compute with the 150% number?

Understand you aren't asking me.
Isn't it simply that your effective pay rate since the beginning of the guarantee year is simply determined by dividing your actual hours paid amount by your actual hours? So your normal pay rate is say $24 an hour, but you don't work evaluation. Now if you worked over evaluation your pay rate is actually less than $24 per hour, and if you worked under evaluation it is above $24. This encourages people to work under evaluation and rewards them for doing so. Now you are getting paid something closer to your real worth for any overtime. If you only beat evaluation by enough to raise it by $1 per hour, you are now getting $37.50 for each overtime hour. If you are failing to meet evaluation by that same amount of time you earn $34.50. As usual you get the benefit of being a better worker, and the USPS management is always looking to reward good work and pay the slackers less. Why do you think people take days after holidays and as many tough days off as possible at this time of year especially?
Taking just an average week off during this period is no help, taking a below average week off hurts and taking an above average week helps, but best effect comes from taking busiest days off, since it is an average.
Since I am too simple minded my analysis is probably incorrect.

so for the OT, it kicks in after you go over Eval or after you go over 40 hours?

and Did the new guarantee period start on 1 Oct of this year?

the contract article is confusing!!!!!

gotta see if I can find my old combined analysis book........

so for the OT, it kicks in after you go over Eval or after you go over 40 hours?

and Did the new guarantee period start on 1 Oct of this year?

the contract article is confusing!!!!!

gotta see if I can find my old combined analysis book........

Christmas OT for Regs is paid on your Relief Day, if you go over your WEEKLY evaluation, if you work more than 56 hours, or if you woright over 12 hours in a day.
Guarantee period starto Mid-October every year So Oct. 12 this year.

Your regular rate, or more commonly base rate rate, is dollars grossed less already paid overtime (eg perhaps daca 5, or redeemed for cash daca 3) divided by actual work hours. 4 pay periods to this point. For demonstration

Pay PeriodGross PayActual Hours
21-20191888.7286
22-20191899.6972.8
23-20191895.0982.4
24-20191898.2785.88
Total7581.77327.08
My special average regular rate for the guarantee period till the end of the current pay period ending (11-22, the week prior to thanksgiving madness, paid on 11-29), excluding daca 5, 2nd trip, EMA, authorized deviations, etc -- just regular pay, leave pay, and holiday pay: $23.18 / hour.

Now, as a table 2 step 3 43k, my normal rate for the 49,633 salary based on 2080 hours is $23.80 / hour, so yet again, free money and give backs back to the post office. The last pay period my hours exploded. I didn't get/give enough to bust through the 56 hours/week, but damn close both weeks, and to extrapolate:

Projected For Pay PeriodProjected Gross PayEstimated Actual Hours
26-20191898.27107
Projected Total9480.04434.08
Now the projected special regular rate is $21.84 (2 dollar an hour pay cut for working 107-86 = 21 hours for free over the last two weeks). You jerks who think the evaluated system is awesome can kiss me shiny metal can. Conservatively 150 packages beyond my count average per day for the last 12 working days -- 1800 packages for free just the last two weeks on top of that. So the answer, the overtime rate is [special] regular rate times 150%... for me, I project $32.76/hour for hours beyond 43 a week (my evaluation)

Edit: Like it is now, late after a long day, last night I used 43k, which isn’t the right way because built in overtime. I’ll edit tomorrow using 40k.

Based on what you are saying here with this formula my overtime rate would be $37.64, Wow!

My normal OT rate is $34.59, that's a difference of $3.05 per hour.

I added up my gross pay for periods 21 thru 24... then divided that by my actual hours, which came out to about $33 bucks an hour, so if I get one and a half times that for the OT rate, well, that'd be about $49 bucks an hour... lol.... bring it on, baby... ?
Used your same example for same pay periods and did the math. I will preface by saying that I'm too old to run, but not to rock 'n roll. Delivery is to standard, not time. We lost Amazon and a 2DR '08 RHD Jeep was once again the ideal delivery vehicle.

We are sub heavy and will see no OT let alone work my K day. Yet if I did...pay for actual hours during those pay periods was $41.29@hr...OT would be $61.95@hr.

Actually, I'm starting to see why they freak if they have to pay some peeps the Christmas OT rate.... are there any Table 1 Step 12 runners out there??? What's their OT rate??? ?
Table 1, step 12 but not a runner(too old). No sub available. Lots of Amazon. Put in 11 hours Saturday. Winter storm forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Should make life even more interesting.

The way people have described determining Christmas overtime rate seems incorrect to me, but maybe it is my fault.
If you divide gross pay for the period by "actual hours" USPS would be a big loser. What are the odds?
If you divide your evaluated pay for the period (exclude all leave days, as they aren't actual hours) and deduct paid overtime and divide by actual hours you have more winners and losers. 2 holidays you didn't work but were paid for, yeah they count..
Sure, it's just me. One can at least argue then that the person working under evaluation deserves a higher rate since they worked more hours than normal to get to overtime than someone working at or above evaluation. Given 3 people with 40 K routes, the one who has worked an average of 35 hours has to work 5 "extra" hours before they reach overtime compared to the one working an average of 40 hours. And that person working an average of 45 hours hasn't really worked extra until passing that 45.
Pretty sure that the Christmas Guaranteed No Overtime having mostly disappeared is in part due to the increase in people who aren't working under evaluation now.
Anybody get paid overtime last year check their rate?

In my calculations, I made adjustments to account for leave and holidays and so forth... my average actual hours for days actually worked remained fairly constant, and period 21 contained no holidays or other leave, so that was a pretty good one to get an estimate on how the OT rate might shake out....

As I mentioned in another post, it seems nuts to implement some weird and arcane method, rather than just paying straight time and a half on our regular rate... always has to be some sort of shell game with the USPS... anybody seen our contract backpay??? ?

DB.Cooper et al -- "it seems nuts to implement some weird and arcane method, rather than just paying straight time and a half on our regular rate.. "

-- Probably some cubical person crunched the numbers and discovered it would be cheaper for the USPS to pay Christmas OT using "some weird and arcane method".

The way people have described determining Christmas overtime rate seems incorrect to me, but maybe it is my fault.
If you divide gross pay for the period by "actual hours" USPS would be a big loser. What are the odds?
If you divide your evaluated pay for the period (exclude all leave days, as they aren't actual hours) and deduct paid overtime and divide by actual hours you have more winners and losers. 2 holidays you didn't work but were paid for, yeah they count..
Sure, it's just me. One can at least argue then that the person working under evaluation deserves a higher rate since they worked more hours than normal to get to overtime than someone working at or above evaluation. Given 3 people with 40 K routes, the one who has worked an average of 35 hours has to work 5 "extra" hours before they reach overtime compared to the one working an average of 40 hours. And that person working an average of 45 hours hasn't really worked extra until passing that 45.
Pretty sure that the Christmas Guaranteed No Overtime having mostly disappeared is in part due to the increase in people who aren't working under evaluation now.
Anybody get paid overtime last year check their rate?
I did. Just over $51/hour.

I did. Just over $51/hour.
Rummaged around and looked at my pay stub from 2015. Unsurprisingly, since I typically worked over evaluation that time of year, instead of $40 if figured more as straight overtime it was only like $35 per hour. Whoppee!
it seems nuts to implement some weird and arcane method, rather than just paying straight time and a half on our regular rate... always has to be some sort of shell game with the USPS...
If you recognize that the evaluated system is designed to be an incentive system you should recognize that doing it this way encourages carriers to be quicker and encourages the USPS from having carriers working overtime hours. Hope you get your wish that they go to hourly.

Back