• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

POLL: September (National) Mailcount...

Will there be a mailcount this September???

• NO way.... it's an election year....

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Maybe.... they do some pretty silly stuff...

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • YES, a little bird flew up and told me it was so....

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Unsure.... I'm gonna have to consult my magic 8 ball....

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters
Just speculation, but from the information and *rumors* rolling around in my area. Take into account the step 4 grievance filed on overburden carriers going over evaluation. At this point I’m about 90% sure management will call for a national count.
How many regular carriers will actually be carrying their routes during a September count with the 2080/2240 problems? I can see the RCA's accepting whatever numbers are presented. How do you show actual route performance when routes are split 3 ways to achieve coverage? This does go on daily, but during a count???

The USPS will not do a national count this Sept...... IMO. We voted in a contract with no scheduled national counts and with the increase in parcels why would they jeopardize a good thing. The USPS does not do things out of the goodness in their hearts. They make good business decisions, and they would only do a national count if it was in their best interest. I believe it's wishful thinking on our part.
The only way they would consider having a national count is if enough routes in the big urban areas have lost Amazon parcel delivery in their offices. This would recalculate routes and maybe free up some route vehicles. No more routes being 3 hours under evaluation each day. Those of us in fly-over country don't really figure into the calculation as there really are not that many of us compared to the urban areas. But others are correct. Under the old count numbers we still only get 30 seconds/package no matter what the size and some of the pieces we consider packages are really flats by the count guide criteria. I don't think a count would do us any good.

My PM spilled the beans. He was at an all PM conference 2 weeks ago, all week.

National count, yes. But will have to hash out the details with the union. He said they already gather most of the info, so will only need to count certain parameters. No POVs in 5 years.
Evidently the PM conferences are the same as our conventions. Everything mentioned is some pie-in-the-sky wish or directive that someone thought up. All it takes is MONEY! Hashing out the details with the union isn't always that easy.

Why not?

r

Why not? If we do a Sept Count it will be under the old format. In our office, mail volume are way down across the board. The only thing is up are parcels which we get 10 seconds per piece plus scans and loading time. It’s the perfect scenario for the USPS.
What would oppose the USPS not do a Sept count?
We currently get 20 seconds of office time and 10 seconds of route time plus 18 seconds per scan for each parcel. I read posts about some carriers getting 2, 3 or even 4 times the parcels they received last count. Why would the USPS want to count routes getting 250+ scans per day? I hope I'm dead wrong but I don't think there will be a national count. There is nothing in the contract mandating a national count this Sept, so I just don't see it happening.

We currently get 20 seconds of office time and 10 seconds of route time plus 18 seconds per scan for each parcel. I read posts about some carriers getting 2, 3 or even 4 times the parcels they received last count. Why would the USPS want to count routes getting 250+ scans per day? I hope I'm dead wrong but I don't think there will be a national count. There is nothing in the contract mandating a national count this Sept, so I just don't see it happening.
Yes, that’s correct. In our office our parcels more than double from the last count. While I don’t see you mentioning the state of flats or dps, they are that bad. Flats, raw mails, and dps on my route dropped by than half from the previous count. I just hope election mail arrives in time if there is a count. As far the count is concerned, the PO has the final say as long they give us a 30 day notice. At least that’s how I interpreted it.

They may count in the hopes that by spring, everything goes to heck.

So your 45k goes to 48k, cut down to 43k. Then by spring count, all the routes across the nation get slashed to 40H and aux routes.

But I gotta believe Ronnie and the bois are threatening either a count this fall or we sue for breach of contract with RRECS.

So your 45k goes to 48k, cut down to 43k. Then by spring count, all the routes across the nation get slashed to 40H and aux routes.

But I gotta believe Ronnie and the bois are threatening either a count this fall or we sue for breach of contract with RRECS.

What Spring count???? Nothing in the contract about a count, as far as I know..... :unsure:

This sounds like something the NRLCA would do because it would be a big mistake! Mail volume has dropped way off, even with the increase in packages I think we would all loose time in the evaluation. I get half or less letters than what I normally get and I bet flats have decreased by 60% or more! Do I want a count? NO!

Last edited:
This sounds like something the NRLCA would do because it would be a big mistake! Mail volume has dropped way off, even with the increase in packages I think we would all loose time in the evaluation. I get half or less letters that I normally get and I bet flats have decreased by 60% or more! Do I want a count? NO!
Now, you're scaring me... we get our butts kicked being Amazon slaves, and take a pay cut just to say thank (eff) you.... :oops:

Until they acknowledge that "wrecks" it out the window and not viable I don't see us having a national count. I did however go and stick some numbers in the info on my last count back in 2018 to see what a new count might look like. I added 600 pkgs and deducted a days worth of letters, flats and dps.
By adding the 600 pkgs it took me up 2hrs but when I deducted the days worth of letters, flats and dps it put me at the same evaluation I started out with. Personally I don't believe a count would do me any good but volume should be up in September (just depends on where we are with the virus), I think I would either end up busting and getting cut (I'm a 45K) or the other direction...neither sounds worth the stress...

Until they acknowledge that "wrecks" it out the window and not viable I don't see us having a national count. I did however go and stick some numbers in the info on my last count back in 2018 to see what a new count might look like. I added 600 pkgs and deducted a days worth of letters, flats and dps.
By adding the 600 pkgs it took me up 2hrs but when I deducted the days worth of letters, flats and dps it put me at the same evaluation I started out with. Personally I don't believe a count would do me any good but volume should be up in September (just depends on where we are with the virus), I think I would either end up busting and getting cut (I'm a 45K) or the other direction...neither sounds worth the stress...
I still harken back to the MOU that says RRECS will be implemented following the next mailcount.... so are they just gonna ignore that RRECS is to be implemented following the next count???? :unsure: :oops::rolleyes:

I thought the last mailcount was the so called last mailcount...
Exactly!!!! That one was put in the LAST contract, way back in like 2016.... at that time, the Jeanie said, this is just in case RRECS still isn't implemented, probably won't need it, but it's there just in case... sheezy Louisy.... this can has been kicked so many times, not sure there's even any can left to kick.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You would rather work for free a little bit all the time than get paid for what we do?
i am down about 150 flats a day... not from last count, this year.. i would need (guessing) an extra 100 packages a day just to stay even.. remember, each package is only worth 30 seconds or 47 with a scan, andddd remember you won't see ups, fedx or amazon stealing our flats at mail count!

Back