• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Are We Ever Going To See This Implemented ?

You have two parties (USPS) the one that delays communications and decisions as long as possible negotiating with (NRLCA) the other whom never communicates and couldn't negotiate their way out of a paper bag! Times up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ultimatums need to be given now!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to scan at the door. That is when the person greats you and want to take the parcels out of your hands and you forget to scan it. Too much room to fail a scan, so I scan at the vehicle and finalize at the door.
Pretty sure somone will say something is wrong regardless of what we do... my scanner seldom leaves the vehicle while I'm on the route... :rolleyes:?‍♂️:oops:

DB.Cooper et al -- "I don't understand all of the uncertainty over RRECS... whatever happen to all of that... the final determinations by the chairman, are final and not subject to grievance or appeal by either party... So, at this point it should all be carved in granite, right???"

-- The flood waters have washed away that particular piece of granite.

DB......I would agree that management should be communicating better and enforcing the rules but I believe that most carriers know the rules and choose to disregard them because it is easier for them. That includes working off the clock and not carrying the scanner with them and scanning at the point of delivery. Like I said, it's hard to believe anyone on this forum hasn't read about either starting before their starting time and also carrying the scanner with them! At the very least they should have questioned their management about it or brought it up at a union meeting or discussed this with other carriers they work with. Of course those carriers probably don't want to find out that they are required to do extra work so they don't ask or just do things the way they want until they are forced to do things the correct way.....JMHO.
Management communicating better? today's stand up talk was bout hydroplaning in rain....no one in our office has ever addressed....Scan everything… I believe MOST RCA's do not know the rules????? and choose to disregard the rules because it is EASIER...… Really???? That is so far from the truth... it takes time to acclimate to this very difficult job you all expect us to STEP INTO and then to know all the rules??? This all takes time...we are not disregarding......we are not educated by the people aka people who know....people who are experienced.... we are not disregarding...… there is not system in place to inform us unless we have a really good Regular who cares that we learn so that we can perform in their place when we need to.... we need regulars who develop us as part of their team who share the route with them ,who talk often when route details come up that we are familiar with so that then we can take part ownership and feel compelled to educate ourselves so that one day we can manage this PO craziness on our own...... we are not disregarding... we are kept in the dark... for obscure purposes.... until we accidentally find our way...…...

Today I mentioned to my sub that I'd done a "moved left no address" mlna on a peep on the route, and they looked at me like I was speaking in jibberish... they had no idea... so I said you can just throw it in with the forwarding now... then they were like, oh okay.... it does show that there really is not much training or education done for our craft... it's mostly just catch as catch can, or not... :rolleyes:

Today I mentioned to my sub that I'd done a "moved left no address" mlna on a peep on the route, and they looked at me like I was speaking in jibberish... they had no idea... so I said you can just throw it in with the forwarding now... then they were like, oh okay.... it does show that there really is not much training or education done for our craft... it's mostly just catch as catch can, or not... :rolleyes:
Well, that is on YOU DB. It is your sub.... believe it or not we have not done this 20 years.... slow down tell them, show them..... it is not rote memorization for them, let them do it and if they mess it up gently tell them again , then it will settle into their brain and become common place like it is in your brain and you will not even have to speak of it again.... all my years of playing sports... I got it wrong, wrong, wrong , then when I got it right , it was muscle memory... same thing here just brain muscle this time..... patience and train well, then when you return from your day off it will be just as you never left.....

I seldom see my sub... they work when I'm off and vice versa.... my point was that there is no set training or education program for our craft after the initial training... so, really it should be on the USPS and/or NRLCA not just me really... :oops:
Well, I guess I am lucky in that I work a lot of other routes other than my primary, so my Reg and I are in the same room together. She can point out things and I can ask questions and that helps me get better.

I agree if you can have a teamwok approach in your office, that is a good thing...

What else I will say, is that when the mgt geeks get in between communications between Regs and subs, like most things, they eff it up, and make things worse...

I always like to think about how much better $#!+ could be if mngt wasn't always effing it up... :unsure:

Found this memo at my case this morning. I'll type it here rather than post a photo so there are no identifying marks. Pay attention, DB. This one's for you.

RURAL ROUTE DIGITIZATION
Mission
: Rural Route Digitization is a Ready Now, Future Ready initiative that uses advanced technology to create an accurate digital version of every rural route. Digital versions of rural routes are created and verified using scanner GPS locations, advanced algorithms, operational reviews and validations.

How Can You Help? The mission of Digitization cannot be achieved without your support and expertise. Creation and verification of each digital route depends on adhering to all rural SOPs including logging into your scanner using your specific Delivery ZIP Code and Route ID, following your 4003 Line of Travel, and scanning packages at their correct locations. For instance, door packages must be scanned at the door and mailbox packages must be scanned at the mailbox. Your scanner must be charged, loaded with batteries, and kept with you at all times. If your scanner is not working properly, notify your supervisor immediately and a new one will be ordered for you. Please make edits to ensure that your AMS Sequence and 4003 are always kept up-to-date.

What are the Impacts and Benefits? Digitization will allow for improved route maintenance, operational visibility, compensation accuracy, and future capabilities such as digital mapping. The initiative decreases the manual processes that are needed for route maintenance, allowing you more time to complete your delivery-related tasks. Additionally, it allows USPS to focus on enhancing the largest postal organization in the world. Digitization prepares your route for future evaluations, ensuring that you are paid accurately for your work. Compensation may be impacted as a result of remeasurements deemed necessary due to mileage misalignment. Digitization related processes will follow USPS handbooks and contract guidelines.

Bleostic - It's entirely possible it took two years for this memo to reach my desk!

I took it as being put on notice that scanner mapping for us could begin at any time, so do it properly. On another thread, we were told scanner data for two weeks was used to map the route without the carrier's knowledge. I figure this is the only warning we're going to get.

Scanner went down 2 days ago in which I was told will have another one tomorrow, Still waiting. Using one of the old scanners. If scanning is all so important why can't this office have back up extra scanners? Like this past Christmas we actually had extra subs to deliver parcels but no extra scanners?? What a cluster F! Plan to fail , planned by incompetent management!

Speaking of failure. The clerk ppl in our office still use the old scanners for scanning items in. Are other offices like this ?

I know the PO seems to do things backwards/wastefully, but we have at least one extra of the latest scanners, can the clerk ppl not use the newer scanner for some assine reason ?

So what's going to happen if this scenario that the scanner goes on the blink with no back up scanners to be used happens under RRECS ???????

So what's going to happen if this scenario that the scanner goes on the blink with no back up scanners to be used happens under RRECS ???????
It's in discussion. PO wants it to count as zero time credit day. Union wants to average the last three days. Arbitrator will decide it counts as half a day. :D

I remember the same exact info being offered 2 years ago by union reps.. I don't believe a word of it until it is actually implemented. Scanning at the door is crap, scan in the vehicle, finalize at the door and use the time in between scan and finalization as "time to door". You see me carrying 9 packages to the door (3 trips) as I I tell the (patiently waiting) customer that he can't have his packages until I am done bringing them to the door and finish scanning them? Also this scanner weighs a ton, how do I carry it with 3 large parcels with dog food in my arms? Really nothing they do is logical.. sigh. Another annoyance.. being told to keep packages dry during rain events... why can't the PO supply plastic bags for us? There are actually carriers out there that buy them themselves.. insane. How are we expected to do our jobs when the PO doesn't provide the supplies we need??
Don't scan in the vehicle...scan at the point of delivery, as we have been told! An imprint is left where we left the package and we will be paid correctly for that pkg. I did it since 8/2014 for every pkg I delivered. I was in the study trying to get the right times for other carriers like you and myself. If I could do it so could you! The scanner isn't that heavy, I don't know what you are talking about? Put the scanner around your wrist or carry it in a coat pocket or your holster. You are a rural carrier and I'm sure that you can figure this one out. Rural's are masters of adapting to Postal changes. Yes the USPS should be supplying plastic bags but they don't so you could either buy them yourself (as I did) or just bring the pkg back if the weather is bad. Many packages these days have a waiver to let the carrier leave the parcel outdoors even if it is raining. We were directed to leave all Amazon packages no matter what the weather was like and whether or not we could find a covered location for them.

Last edited:
I refuse to scan at the door. That is when the person greats you and want to take the parcels out of your hands and you forget to scan it. Too much room to fail a scan, so I scan at the vehicle and finalize at the door.
If there's a chance they're home, I scan in the LLV and enter option 3, left with customer. If they don't come to the door, I scan again and enter 2, left at door. Last scan counts. (I you enter option 3 under RRECS, wrecks or whatever, it gives you credit for going to the door.)

Back