Has the PO ever called a sept count?

Jess

Ive always done February counts. When was the last time the PO called for a count? The anticipation is killing me!

btdtret

Jess -- "Ive always done February counts. When was the last time the PO called for a count?"

-- There were September counts in 2011 and 2012.

-- Arbitration began in October 2011 and Clarke's award came out in July 2012 and the first count was scheduled for FEB-MAR 2013, so the USPS must have called for the September counts.

" The anticipation is killing me!"

-- Just wait for RRECS!

jerrylann

All regular counts used to be in September and volume was great. The post office pissed and moaned about it until we went to the Clarke arbitration and he agreed with the postal service and changed regular count period to Feb./March. Special counts were left in September. I loved the old September counts. Mail volume was much higher in September and our evaluations were higher because of it.

Skierstmoritz

All regular counts used to be in September and volume was great. The post office pissed and moaned about it until we went to the Clarke arbitration and he agreed with the postal service and changed regular count period to Feb./March. Special counts were left in September. I loved the old September counts. Mail volume was much higher in September and our evaluations were higher because of it.
Correct me if wrong, but I do believe the NRLCA willingly agreed to the feb/march counts and even suggested the counts be 2 weeks instead of the traditional 3 or 4 week counts. Thanks union. Also odd years were the longer counts and the union did not ask for one 1n 2017 or 2019. I hope we count this sept as we are buried in parcels.

Jess

I don’t think there will be a national count. Brennan has to sign off on the contract again. The last one set on her desk for months. They pretty much have until the 17th to notify us.. I don’t see it.

WestCoastRural

Wasn’t this one she sat on for months. This contract is blatantly favored the PO. It did not benefit the rural carriers at all.
I guess the union put his head in the sand when come to tough decisions.

btdtret

Skierstmoritz et al -- "Correct me if wrong, but I do believe the NRLCA willingly agreed to the feb/march counts and even suggested the counts be 2 weeks instead of the traditional 3 or 4 week counts."

-- Just a minor correction. Both the USPS and the NRLCA made proposals to change mail counts, however Arbitrator Clarke ( 2010-2015 ) chose to adopt the NRLCA's suggestion of alternating three and two week counts in the FEB/MAR time frame. It used to be alternating 4- and 2-week counts.

-- Most felt a 4-week count favored the rural carrier, especially when held in September, but Arbitrator Wells ( 2002-2004 ) switched counts from September to FEB-MAR.

-- Then there was the ( infomous ) 2016 "Middle of March" count conducted from 12 March to 25 March, which guaranteed missing most beginning of the month and end of the month billing cycles. To add insult to injury, the 2010-2015 contract had expired and the 2015-2018 contract was not yet in place. That eliminated the NRLCA's mantra of "No Contract, No Count".

-- To add further insult to injury, the 2015-2018 agreement did not have a count scheduled for 2017, which would have been a three-week count. Probably both parties were optomistic that RRECS would be in places ( LOL ).

-- No count in 2019 - no contract. Just a "postal coincidence" that it would have been a three-week count.

-- And the recently ratified 2018-2021 contract has NO scheduled mail counts. Of course, the USPS has the right to declare a national count in any September for the last 12 working days of the month, which has not been utilized in several years. Just like MOU #1, which has never been utilized - that I know of.

PS -- Even past president Dwyer mentioned 4-week counts in an article about RRECS in the August 2018 edition of the national magazine.

Last edited:

btdtret

WestCoastRural et al -- "Wasn’t this one she sat on for months. This contract is blatantly favored the PO. It did not benefit the rural carriers at all.
I guess the union put his head in the sand when come to tough decisions. "

-- I'd say the union has its head somewhere else!

Deer smearer

I don’t think there will be a national count. Brennan has to sign off on the contract again. The last one set on her desk for months. They pretty much have until the 17th to notify us.. I don’t see it.
It wouldn't matter if this one is signed or not. Both the 15-18 contract and the recently ratified one have the September count provisions in it. One or the other would still be in effect.

Even if the USPS calls for a national count by the 17th the NRLCA wouldn't let us know in a timely manner. Probably the day before.

Travelingmailman

I've been told USPS would have to figure a huge gain in order to call a special count. The Amazon shenanigans went per office not per district. Some of them got counted then round 2 came in after count in my district. Seems the off the interstate towns got reamed by azon first...around here anyway.

Bukowski

It wouldn't matter if this one is signed or not. Both the 15-18 contract and the recently ratified one have the September count provisions in it. One or the other would still be in effect.

Even if the USPS calls for a national count by the 17th the NRLCA wouldn't let us know in a timely manner. Probably the day before.
Hmmmm, what about those who've never experienced a count and need to go to those sessions in which they (union reps?) teach you the ins and outs, how to protect yourself from management errors?

jtcrapper

Union is proud of the fact with the new contract Sept. counts have to be a National count so why would the P.O. give our craft a chance to be paid for Amazon so no count to opt in for us and the only way we get counted is if the wheels fall off and volume drops will we get counted