• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Limit on number of hours RCA can work in pay period?

The first time my Supervisor told me that I couldn't work seven straight days I was on my 24th straight day. Just sayin'...
I understand when an RCA goes over 40 hrs they revert to hourly pay..... in our office an RCA went over 40 ….. to like 47 or so well turns out that 47 was enough to calculate her pay hourly but not enough to pay her enough to loose money. She was paid for actual hours work but did not make enough hours to compensate for loosing the Evaluated pay.....

I understand when an RCA goes over 40 hrs they revert to hourly pay..... in our office an RCA went over 40 ….. to like 47 or so well turns out that 47 was enough to calculate her pay hourly but not enough to pay her enough to loose money. She was paid for actual hours work but did not make enough hours to compensate for loosing the Evaluated pay.....

Unfortunately that's the way the system works. RCAs need to be made cognizant of that fact. When I was an RCA I tried my best to always work the evaluated time to maximize my paycheck because I thought it was wrong that I didn't get the evaluation like the regular when I took less time.

When I was an RCA I was trapped into working an Amazon Sunday for free twice, before saying enough is enough! The pay structure for RCA is BS the NRLCA need to address this.

Last edited:
If you have regulars not on the RDWL in your office, tell them to sign up in the next few weeks when they are allowed to. That way they Rca's will work before the regulars to avoid higher overtime (code 5 or 150% pay) and the regulars that don't sign up will have to work at code 3 (1/2 a day's pay and a day off scheduled by management).
I believe all regulars should sign up on the RDWL because many times management tries to avoid allowing them to work and they sit home, grieve that they weren't worked, and get paid anyway.
Sure about that??
Code 5 only gives you time and a half for working your day off.
Code 3 gives you half pay for working your day off, AND full pay for the x day.
Which means you get time and a half plus a day off.

The day off you receive on a code 3 day is an unpaid day. If you are a K route and have Saturday off, you aren't paid for that Saturday. If you are on the RDWL and work that Saturday taking a code 5, you receive the most possibly pay @150%, or also known as time and 1/2. If you take a code 3 day, you receive 1/2 of a day's pay, and a (Relief) day to be scheduled by your manager, (usually in the same week) on that day you receive NO PAY. It would be just like the Saturday off in which you receive NO PAY. Yes, I'm "sure about that ".

The day off you receive on a code 3 day is an unpaid day. If you are a K route and have Saturday off, you aren't paid for that Saturday. If you are on the RDWL and work that Saturday taking a code 5, you receive the most possibly pay @150%, or also known as time and 1/2. If you take a code 3 day, you receive 1/2 of a day's pay, and a (Relief) day to be scheduled by your manager, (usually in the same week) on that day you receive NO PAY. It would be just like the Saturday off in which you receive NO PAY. Yes, I'm "sure about that ".

The day off for DACA 3 (within 12 weeks) is an X day and you are definitely paid for it.

Here's the rules, found under R-95 in our reference guide. What am I "misunderstanding" about code 3? #2 BELOW IS CODE 3.

FOR WORKING RELIEF DAY All regular rural carriers, not on the relief day work list, who work the relief day will receive compensation at 50% of the carrier's daily rate of pay, in addition to receiving an X day within twelve (12) weeks as scheduled by the Employer.
Regular rural carriers on the relief day work list who work the relief day will select one of the following options:
1. An X day to be immediately scheduled by mutual agreement between the carrier and the Employer. The scheduled X day must be within the next , (12) weeks.
2. Compensation at 50% of the carrier's daily rate of pay, in addition to receiving an X day within twelve (12) weeks as scheduled by the Employer.
3. Compensation at 150% of the carrier's daily rate of pay. The carrier will not receive an X day. The regular rural carrier must make his or her election of the above options, no later than the day of the worked relief day.
When you use the X day (the day it is scheduled) you receive no additional money in you check for that week, the day you worked is moved to the day you use the x day, no "EXTRA" pay except 50% on the relief day you work. Let me know where I'm wrong.

I never got paid for an X. Got my 50% and a day off.

The only time you get paid for an DACA 3 X is if it isn't taken (meaning management screwed up, wotta concept).

Code 3 gives you half pay for working your day off, AND full pay for the x day.
Which means you get time and a half plus a day off.

If that were true, there would be no reason to sign up for the RDWL. :)

Here's the rules, found under R-95 in our reference guide. What am I "misunderstanding" about code 3? #2 BELOW IS CODE 3.

FOR WORKING RELIEF DAY All regular rural carriers, not on the relief day work list, who work the relief day will receive compensation at 50% of the carrier's daily rate of pay, in addition to receiving an X day within twelve (12) weeks as scheduled by the Employer.
Regular rural carriers on the relief day work list who work the relief day will select one of the following options:
1. An X day to be immediately scheduled by mutual agreement between the carrier and the Employer. The scheduled X day must be within the next , (12) weeks.
2. Compensation at 50% of the carrier's daily rate of pay, in addition to receiving an X day within twelve (12) weeks as scheduled by the Employer.
3. Compensation at 150% of the carrier's daily rate of pay. The carrier will not receive an X day. The regular rural carrier must make his or her election of the above options, no later than the day of the worked relief day.
When you use the X day (the day it is scheduled) you receive no additional money in you check for that week, the day you worked is moved to the day you use the x day, no "EXTRA" pay except 50% on the relief day you work. Let me know where I'm wrong.
It's confusing, I know. But you're wrong. Sorry.

Ok I see what the problem is , technically when you work a code 3 you don't receive an "x" day, you receive a day off and 50% pay. It is often called an "X" day but really is not. If any of you are taking a code 3 and getting 50% pay and a day off later with pay , don't say anything, keep your head down and enjoy that extra pay you shouldn't be getting.

Ok I see what the problem is , technically when you work a code 3 you don't receive an "x" day, you receive a day off and 50% pay. It is often called an "X" day but really is not. If any of you are taking a code 3 and getting 50% pay and a day off later with pay , don't say anything, keep your head down and enjoy that extra pay you shouldn't be getting.

Do you think anyone would really pick code 3 then??? Go to lite blue they have how many X days you have accumulated it acts like annual,(PM approved) I just took a whopping 3xday mini vacation. I look at code 3 or R day as keeping yourself from entering the next tax bracket. or simply just staying away from the job as much as possible.(this has become my new motto)

Ok, I'll try this one last time.

If you work a relief day and it's a DACA 3 you get 50% premium for that day AND earn an X day. The 50% premium is paid the week of the pay period you worked the relief day. The X day is credited the week of the pay period that the relief day was worked. When you use the X day it is recorded as an X day used during the week of the pay period it is used.

Getting paid for an X day is not "extra pay you shouldn't be getting"

You can take a full week off using accumulated X days and get paid for the the full week.

If all you got was a half days pay for being required to work your relief day manglement would be jumping for joy forcing you to work and have even less incentive to hire subs.

Ok, I'll try this one last time.

If you work a relief day and it's a DACA 3 you get 50% premium for that day AND earn an X day. The 50% premium is paid the week of the pay period you worked the relief day. The X day is credited the week of the pay period that the relief day was worked. When you use the X day it is recorded as an X day used during the week of the pay period it is used.

Getting paid for an X day is not "extra pay you shouldn't be getting"

You can take a full week off using accumulated X days and get paid for the the full week.

If all you got was a half days pay for being required to work your relief day manglement would be jumping for joy forcing you to work and have even less incentive to hire subs.

I understand, maybe someone needs to take a DACA 3 so they can understand how it works too. Or maybe they are messing with you.?

Back