• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Are We Ever Going To See This Implemented ?

Data for a route evaluation through RRECS cannot possibly be collected prior to implementation in order to have a new evaluation on day 1. There are several carrier responsibilities that have to take place, so official data collection can't happen without you knowing about it. I refer to the NRLCA magazine article about the RRECS system, which is the only info we've ever received.

• Routes must be mapped by the carriers.
  • RRECS will have additional scan and data entry options which the carriers will have to perform at proper times and locations.
  • Mini mail counts performed by carrier & supervisor for raw mail.
  • In-office walking distances to be measured by carrier & supervisor.
  • Certain new work rules will be required by RRECS. New SOPs will be issued by USPS and carriers will be trained as necessary.
This is why we will work under current evaluations until RRECS has collected data for whatever time interval they come up with. I don't think it will be the original 3-month interval. I tend to agree with martian that it will be yearly. So they'll roll this system out, we'll use it for 9-11 months (if it doesn't crash & burn the 1st day), then we'll get a new evaluation to go into effect the next year. If they did it in 3-month intervals, we would learn how to adapt our behavior to get the most out of it very quickly. Can't have that now, can we?
Even just that brief description makes it sound like a PITA... can't wait... ?‍♂️:rolleyes:

Last edited:
blamethebub et al -- [ Phasing in of RRECS ]

This article came out in late 2017 in one of the NRLCA State news letters and posted at RI:

Engineered Time Study.

There are one hundred five ( 105 ) new time standards [ since upgraded to over 120, including over 40 just for road speeds ]. The NRCLA National Board will be reviewing those standards within the next thirty days [ since extended by 2 or 3 months -- apparently without Arbitrator Clarke's knowledge or approval ]. The engineer panel will have ninety ( 90 ) days to consider the comments which will probably be sometime in March of 2018 [ just another dead line missed ]. The study will be phased in three month increments using the daily automation count data fore each route and updated at the six-month, nine-month, and one year mark. This should reflect a true accounting of what we do in our jobs on a daily basis. [ not if data from the Christmas period is omitted or when a route is split ]

Had a chuckle over...New SOPs will be issued by USPS and carriers will be trained as necessary.

Trained? Many of us got little or no training on the newer scanner. All I can recall was being told how to log on, hit the scan button then enter from there and select option. PM at that time was impressed by the flashlight feature. Training took less than a couple of minutes. After that since I was the only one at the time with an LLV, where do I want the appropriate LLV stickers placed?

Another possible reason for the delay besides lack of comprehension of the # results. The Machine must also develop a program to decipher our actions for the past few years to establish a baseline for each carrier. If one thinks their scanner is only in breadcrumb mode for 2 weeks prior to plotting they are denying the fact of being hardcore tracked on any given day now.

It will be interesting if this alleged next contract theory being mentioned will have any wording about IE implementation and how it will be handled. A month long hard count to establish a routes baseline EVAL? Let that go for the 49 weeks and after the Holiday push period in pay period 1 your new Eval based on nothing but scans, clerk recording questimations and your actions?

I see a short term contract of possibly 3 years. Including the timeframe of last contract ending. Next contract the Beast is released after more nit picking.

DB, I can not give a link to memo as I saw it on a district computer. It was dated March 1, 2019. Addressed to areas + districts and looked like a general instruction to remind carriers of the importance of carrying their scanner with them at at all times to boost market share. These come out periodically as reminder directives from headquarters. Not a huge earthshaking development. Just a reminder of what to instruct carriers and the importance of capturing each scan at delivery location. They roll these out periodically along with seasonal dog/school advisements.

Yes, I've worked here far too long to expect anyone, manager or craft, to actually listen to a directive - let alone follow it. It's what makes postal employees special (Independent and bullheaded).

They're always spouting some sort of nonsense... so I think that's why peeps ignore a lot of it unless they can see a clear and good reason for doing it... :rolleyes:

I have never heard them make any sort of mention of this... ?

Last edited:
I heard it at a...

drumroll...
union meeting (when the study 1st started).
Wow... that long ago... you have a good memory, as that was YEARS ago... I guess I missed that meeting and memo... :rolleyes:

I still haven't heard anything of that memo from last pay period either... seems to be no big priority in my neck of the woods... ?‍♂️

Again, nobody to my recollection has ever directed me to carry it around... and I'm relatively sure many are not carrying it to the door... if this is what they want, then they should be informing peeps of this fact... we're not mind readers after all...

DB and for the good of the Craft the NRLCA should be informing ALL Rural Carriers not just the members!

Something might be coming and helps make sense of something pm told me the other day.

They told told me we have to have route inspections done by April or end of April. Normally, unless getting counted, we didn’t do inspections until late summer/fall.
Route inspections have been done in my office anywhere from Feb through April every year since I can remember.

I was in the route part of the study and WANT RRECS implemented! I don't know why you said that?
I said that because every time standard has been desimated with the exception of large parcels. No more two minutes a week per box, that's a huge loss. Scans built in is a loss on small packages. When I stand and scan a package at a door, and the scanner asks me if I want to continue because I am 100 feet away, then I have zero confidence in it. I hope you are right, that this is a good thing, but my gut says nooooo.

I was in the route part of the study and WANT RRECS implemented! I don't know why you said that?
Oh, unless you come to a dead, complete stop the scanner won't register as having stopped. In other words, if you have a box with no cover, better not just flick the mail in off your fingertips.

I said that because every time standard has been desimated with the exception of large parcels. No more two minutes a week per box, that's a huge loss. Scans built in is a loss on small packages. When I stand and scan a package at a door, and the scanner asks me if I want to continue because I am 100 feet away, then I have zero confidence in it. I hope you are right, that this is a good thing, but my gut says nooooo.
There are a lot of posters that are afraid of the study. When you say that with the exception of large parcels every standard has been decimated, I don't understand that. We will have 4 or 5 times the number of standards that we used to have, so if one thing was less another may be more. This study is supposed to get the right times for the things we do. We need to see this thing in action before becoming terrified of it. Remember that 90% of carriers should be able to meet or beat their evals. Remember that professional time study engineers conducted this study. I understand fear of change but things could simply not remain the same. Too many were being hurt by the old system.

One thing I'll say about carrying the scammer everywhere, is this...

Everybody complains about having to do $#!+ for "free"... and so, if you think back to before the flippy phones and enter GPS... peeps scanned parcels wherever the hail they wanted, and nobody cared... hail peeps were scanning them delivered at the PO before leaving in the morning, and then just slinging them out on the route...
And obviously this was a helluva lot easier and faster than having to carry the scammer everywhere and scan at the precise delivery locations...

And so, my question to you is... did we get any increased time for this nonsense??? You know the answer... HAIL NO we didn't.... so this is just more FREE $#!+ you all are doing...

So, maybe some peeps are saying they're getting a little tired of more and more $#!+ getting added on to us, with no additional time allocated... just sayin... :unsure:

There are a lot of posters that are afraid of the study. When you say that with the exception of large parcels every standard has been decimated, I don't understand that. We will have 4 or 5 times the number of standards that we used to have, so if one thing was less another may be more. This study is supposed to get the right times for the things we do. We need to see this thing in action before becoming terrified of it. Remember that 90% of carriers should be able to meet or beat their evals. Remember that professional time study engineers conducted this study. I understand fear of change but things could simply not remain the same. Too many were being hurt by the old system.
H.N.G... smarter guys than me have went thru these new standards and have said they are skeptical that RRECS is really going to benefit us... I'm talking about peeps like @FrozenToes and more recently @R5... so we can hope and wish in one hand, and you know the rest of the story... ?

H.N.G... smarter guys than me have went thru these new standards and have said they are skeptical that RRECS is really going to benefit us... I'm talking about peeps like @FrozenToes and more recently @R5... so we can hope and wish in one hand, and you know the rest of the story... ?
Time will tell but my point was that things simply could not remain the same. We need change, whether that is hourly or RRECS or an improvised system that we now have.

One thing I'll say about carrying the scammer everywhere, is this...

Everybody complains about having to do $#!+ for "free"... and so, if you think back to before the flippy phones and enter GPS... peeps scanned parcels wherever the hail they wanted, and nobody cared... hail peeps were scanning them delivered at the PO before leaving in the morning, and then just slinging them out on the route...
And obviously this was a helluva lot easier and faster than having to carry the scammer everywhere and scan at the precise delivery locations...

And so, my question to you is... did we get any increased time for this nonsense??? You know the answer... HAIL NO we didn't.... so this is just more FREE $#!+ you all are doing...

So, maybe some peeps are saying they're getting a little tired of more and more $#!+ getting added on to us, with no additional time allocated... just sayin... :unsure:
Yeah, it was so much easier to scan in the truck and then deliver the pkg! The old scanners did't have GPS and the new ones do, so that is why the USPS wants us to leave an actual imprint of where we delivered the pkg and the study wanted an imprint so we could get paid the correct time for delivering it. Heck no, it's not as easy carrying the darn thing everywhere but I did, so the correct information was given for the study and myself. Every rural carrier was depending on us in the study to do things the right way. Yes, we were doing all these things for free but I already did many hours each week for free anyway and the only way to change that was to carry the scanner and do the study like we were told. I know it's a pita and it's more uncompensated work but it's the way of the future, and hopefully, will get everyone paid as correctly as an evaluated system can. Once you do it for a while it just becomes a part of the job. I know that no one likes change but the USPS is always evolving and changing, so we might as well get used to it.

Back